2000 Dodge Dakota Overheating

AELAKEGARCIA
  • 2000 DODGE DAKOTA
My truck was overheating the other day so I check the reservoir and there was plenty of fluid in it so I didn't check the rad cap. I got in it today and it is still overheating only after driving about.5 miles down the road. I came back home and let it cool, opened the rad cap and there isn't any fluid in the hose! Reservoir is still full. I have limited car maintenance experience so I don't really know what to check next. Would the water pump be causing this or could the thermostat be stuck? Any info would help. Also the heater just blows cold air

thanks
Wednesday, January 14th, 2015 AT 10:29 AM

Which hose is empty? Is the radiator clean and full? Does it overheat at highway speeds or only when in stop and go traffic?
-1
Wednesday, January 14th, 2015 AT 11:04 AM
AELAKEGARCIA
The hose with the radiator cap is empty. It overheats under normal driving (45mph). Yes the radiator is clean and full.
Wednesday, January 14th, 2015 AT 11:08 AM
I think you mean the small hose that goes to the overflow. If that is correct, I would recommend replacing the thermostat to see if that fixes it. IF the coolant is full and the radiator clean, that is the most likely cause.
Wednesday, January 14th, 2015 AT 11:09 AM
AELAKEGARCIA
Here is a picture of the hose. Could there be a blockage somewhere?
Wednesday, January 14th, 2015 AT 11:15 AM
Is it the hose on the left or right? Also, the radiator looks low.

What to do is fill the cooling system and leave the radiator cap off. Start the engine. Allow it to warm up. When the engine temp gets to 195 degrees, the thermostat will be fully open and you should see the coolant circulating. Try that and see if that happens.

Let me know what you find.
Wednesday, January 14th, 2015 AT 6:07 PM
AELAKEGARCIA
Drained the radiator fluid (as it was looking dark) and flushed it out. Checked the thermostat and it was good to go so I put it all back together and filled it back up. Did what you suggested and it works fine now. Took it for a test drive and it did not over heat! Thanks for the info!
-1
Wednesday, January 14th, 2015 AT 6:51 PM
Glad it's fixed. I hope I helped. Take care and let us know if you have questions in the future.

Thursday, January 15th, 2015 AT 5:16 AM