Electrical

LETMECH
  • 2000 DODGE CARAVAN
Electrical Problem, 2000 Caravan - Battery warning light has been coming on and off recently. Green/Blue build up on positive post. Van started, and idled. When put into gear, engine died and won't start again. Measured 12VDC across posts. Cleaned posts and connectors. Still won't start. Have been having problems with tail and brake lights for about six months.
Thursday, March 10th, 2011 AT 7:21 PM

Hold the gas pedal down 1/4" to get it started. After disconnecting the battery, the Engine Computer will have to relearn "minimum throttle" before it will know when to be in control of idle speed and to give you the nice idle "flare-up" at start-up. To meet the conditions for the relearn to take place, drive at highway speed with the engine warmed up, then coast for at least seven seconds without touching the brake or gas pedals. Next, measure the battery voltage with the engine running. If it is not between 13.75 and 14.75 volts, measure the voltages on the two small wires or terminals on the back of the alternator. The engine must be running during those measurements.
Thursday, March 10th, 2011 AT 7:33 PM
Have the alternator load tested and check wiring back to the ignition switch
Thursday, March 10th, 2011 AT 7:33 PM
LETMECH
Tried to hold the pedal down 1/4" but still wouldn't start. Van was involved in an accident last year and damages the front end. May have some issue with wiring. Haven't dug into it yet. I was curious why the van started and idled, but died out when put in gear. This was before the battery was disconnected.
Thursday, March 10th, 2011 AT 7:44 PM
First check for blown fuses. If there is one blown, check the wiring harness under the battery tray. The normal rocking of the engine can cause that harness to slide back and forth and wear through the insulation and paint until a wire grounds out. Next, measure the voltage on the dark green / orange wire at the coil or coil pack, depending on the engine size, or any injector. You should see full battery voltage for just one second after a helper turns on the ignition switch. What's important is if that voltage comes back during engine cranking. If it does not, suspect the crankshaft position sensor or the camshaft position sensor.
Thursday, March 10th, 2011 AT 7:52 PM
LETMECH
Thanks for the advice. You helped me a while back with a wheel problem on this van. I might have to wait a bit until I can get someone over to give me a hand with it. He is a pro mechanic that I swap HVAC favors with. I will share your ideas with him and hopefully get it done. Might be time to put the van to bed though. It's been problems lately.
Thursday, March 10th, 2011 AT 8:00 PM