2000 SUBURBAN SHUDDER

• mokjwk11
  • 2000 Chevrolet Suburban
  • automatic

I have a 2000 Chevy Suburban with 130000 miles. At speeds over 30 or so @ 2000-2200 rpm it shudders like we are driving over a washboard road. We get no error codes and it only occurs during slight aceleration, as soon as the throttle is let off or pushed harder it stops immediately. I was told it may be the torque converter lock up so I serviced the tranny and added 2 doses of lucas additive to no avail. I have pulled the relay for the tc lock up & saw no change. Recently the exhaust started rattling so I checked it for loose hangers etc, moved the exhaust pipe back & forth as much as possible, rattle stopped & no vibration for a day then back to same vibration & rattle. I have read there is a service bulletin for an exhaust vibration but can't believe the exhaust could make the car shudder so violently, anyone have any ideas?

Tuesday, March 29th, 2011 AT 2:38 AM

• caradiodoc

Tight universal joints.

Tuesday, March 29th, 2011 AT 2:40 AM
  • XZH445

Mokjwk11, did you get any resolution? I have a '98 Suburban 1500 4WD and it is acting exactly like your symptoms

Wednesday, May 18th, 2011 AT 5:25 PM
  • mokjwk11

Havent had a chance to check u joints yet but I can't imagine that's the issue. Am on vacation & working on it this week will update when the issue is resolved.

Thursday, May 19th, 2011 AT 3:39 PM
  • caradiodoc

Also look at the rear transmission mount. If it has sagged, the driveshaft will have less of an angle and a greater tendency to vibrate.

If you have a two-piece driveshaft, check the rubber mount for the center bearing. You may have to run it in gear jacked up on a hoist to see what is moving around or vibrating.

Thursday, May 19th, 2011 AT 8:50 PM