Transmission repair

2000CHEVYMAN
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
What should I do if I have a problem that has reoccurred on my truck and I am still under the warranty, however the shop that gave the warranty has gone under?
Monday, July 18th, 2011 AT 6:13 AM

DRCRANKNWRENCH
As long as the repair was done at a dealership or at an approved shop that Chevy paid for the warranty repair, the warranty still covers repairs at any dealership or approved facility.
Chevy should have records, but if you can find the paperwork from the repaiar it will be helpful.
Try getting the repair done at a dealership with a good reputation as things should go more quickly. The fact the shop went under should not affect or void your warranty as long as it was repaired at a dealership or through the warranty in the proper and approved way.
Otherwise, the dealer will probably notice that it has been repaired before as bolts are marked at the factory to identify tampering or repairs that might void the warranty.
Make sure you keep all of these records as this might get you a discount if the tranny fails outside the warranty. Reason being is you can argue that the tranny has a, "Factory Defect", which warrants a good will repair.
Hope this helps.
Monday, July 18th, 2011 AT 6:33 AM
2000CHEVYMAN
I understand what your wrote, but maybe I just asked the question wrong. I had the transmission repaired less than one year ago at a shop that does not deal with the dealership, and now that particular shop has gone under. I am just curious if the chevy dealership would do the repairs on the truck even though the repair was not completed by them. However the truck is still under the warranty given by shop that has gone under.
Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 2:05 AM
DRCRANKNWRENCH
It really depends on the dealership and your relationship with them. It would be best to go to the dealer where you bought the truck.
Generally, having the transmission fixed outside of warranty is a way for a dealer to get out of warranty repair. Dealers do not make much profit on warranties and this is especially true of large jobs. On top of that, a factory representative will audit repairs randomly to make sure there are not making unnecessary repairs. However, this is not a huge risk and the larger the dealership, the better chance that they will make the repair.
I had the same situation with an S-10 I had and I went to around 5 dealers before I got it fixed.
One thing to ask for outside of recalls is to look at, "Service Bulletins" in the service department. They are open for public review but are not safety related, so they are not required to be sent out as, "Recalls"'
They might have some bulletin on the transmission since it may have a weak part that they have updated.
Don't tell them about the repair as you will probably get shot down when you mention it. You might say it was just, "Serviced" if it comes up.
More than likely, the whole transmission will be replaced. So, telling them all depends on what you are comfortable with.
Let me know if I can be of any further help.
Wednesday, July 20th, 2011 AT 7:45 AM