2000 Chevrolet Silverado oil pan leak

LOCKNUOUT
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Left side motor near oil filter, there is a boss on the pan but not drilled for bolt. Cleaned motor when not running doesn't leak. Engine running see air bubbles pushing oil out around that boss where no bolt is at. Cant find PCV vavle. Any suggestions?
Monday, October 28th, 2013 AT 4:13 PM

TY ANDERSON
Just to clarify. There is a cap that is bolted (only 2 bolts) to the engine block just above the engine oil filter. If so this is capped off and is designed for an auxiliary engine oil cooler (if equipped). I've seen a lot of these leak (and engine oil pan gaskets) make sure you order the gasket without the engine oil cooler gasket because the gaskets are different between the two.
The reason it leaks with the engine running is because this cap is just after engine oil pump. Hope this is what your talking about.
Monday, October 28th, 2013 AT 7:09 PM
LOCKNUOUT
Yes that was first thing I checked. Leak is just forward of oil filter at pan rail. And it looks like its being pushed out by excessive crank pressure. Can see little air bubbles at pan rail and motor only when running. Weird leak
Monday, October 28th, 2013 AT 7:23 PM
TY ANDERSON
Is there any way you post a picture of the area or is it where the engine oil pan gasket is? A higher mileage engine will have more blow-by gases creating greater positive pressure inside the crankcase for the ventilation system to handle. Did you check the PCV valve on the valve cover?
Monday, October 28th, 2013 AT 7:55 PM
LOCKNUOUT
I will get a pic to u tomorrow. Probably evening time. Thanks. And I've looked for Pcv valve Havnt found one yet and have heard some of these 5.3 don't have?
Monday, October 28th, 2013 AT 8:02 PM
TY ANDERSON
The positive crankcase ventilation system is on every internal combustion engine. Whether it is a valve or a fixed orifice there is some sort of ventilation to handle the blow-by gases. These pipe fitting have been known to coke up and restrict flow of theses gases going back into the intake. So, if there is no place for these gases to go the pressure inside the crankcase builds until the weakest components start to leak; such as: the crankshaft seals, valve cover gaskets, engine oil pan gaskets. Make sure all of the pipe fittings of the PCV system are free of coking. Hope this helps. I would explain why the oil is bubbling at the gasket.
Tuesday, October 29th, 2013 AT 7:58 PM
LOCKNUOUT
Yes I found Pcv valve. Not clogged nor is hose. Orfice also open. Can't get a picture of pan where leak is at. Bad weather and in carport. As soon as I can I will post it. Thanks
Thursday, October 31st, 2013 AT 3:49 PM