Heater not working?

DARRELL HAYWORTH
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Have replaced thermostat checked fuses still no heat?
Sunday, January 23rd, 2011 AT 1:06 AM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
Does instrument panel show engine is overheating? is air blowing at all or just blowing out cool air?

These guides will help us fix it

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-heater-not-working

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-blend-door-motor

Please run down these guides and report back.
Wednesday, February 2nd, 2011 AT 11:15 PM
JWBODEN
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
The heater in my truck does not work. I have almost no heat when the truck is idling, but if I rev it up to 3000 rpm I get some heat. I have checked the dampaner, it does work, plus when it turn the dial to cool I get cold air, then when I turn it to hot I get hot air for a couple of seconds. The hoses to the heater core are hot in and cold out. I had the same problem last year and had the water pump replaced, that helped but only lasted until it got cold again. The only thing I can thick now is that the core may be plugged. If it is how big of progect is it to flush, and any tricks would be helpful.
Monday, September 14th, 2020 AT 11:02 AM (Merged)
Chances are if one heater hose is hot and one cold, there is no circulation. Basically, you need to disconnect the heater core hoses and use a garden hose to see if you can flush water through it. Back flush it too. ALso, you may want to stop at a parts store and get a good cleaner for the job. Just follow the manufacturer's recommendations.

Let me know if you have other questions.

PROANGLER
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Heater problem
2000 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

Thermostat? Or other how to determin for sure
BLACKOP555
If the themrostat was bad chances are the vehicle would overheat very quickly as soon as it started to heat up.

Feel the heater core hoses and let me know what you find.
-2
MATTHEW2960
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I have a 2000 chevy pick-up and the heater will not get hot. I believe it is in the dial switch on hte dash or the control valve. Please give me most common failure parts. If it is the switch how do you remove the dash panel and change switch? If it is the valve wher is is located and how do you change?
2CEXPT
Have you checked the thermostat if its opening properly and the heater core?If its clogged-up. If not do so at this time and then report back for more complicated issues
-1
MATT9775
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I lost the heat in my truck. Everything blows good just not hot.
Make sure the coolant is full. Also, with the engine hot, running, and the heater on high, make sure both heater core hoses are hot. If they are, check and repair blend air door. If one is hot and the other not, flush the heater core.
CARTER96
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Recently my trucks heater stopped working. It just blows cool air. It came back on for one day and has been out since. Would this be a thermostat problem or a heater core problem? If heater core how hard is it to change?
Monday, September 14th, 2020 AT 11:03 AM (Merged)
2CEXPT
Good place to start is to check the coolant level and make sure its using the correct type of coolant and properly mixed for protection. Won't hurt inspect for a clogged heater hose/core-feel the hoses should be the same temperature if not something is wrong.

Could be also air mix or blend door not opening due to a malfunctioning actuator or vacuum or hose problem
STEPHENL
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
My heater blows cold air even though
temp guage read normal
what do I need to look for
i have had this truck about 1 month
DIANEDAWSON
Make sure your heater core isn't bad.
Make sure you have enough coolant in the radiator.
Off the wall but make sure your switch is working correctly.
-2
47BOBBER
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Heater problem V8 four wheel drive automatic 138, 00 miles.

I bought the truck this past spring and with the days getting colder noticed that my heat does not work as it should. Coolant level is fine, the hoses get hot. The truck has very little heat when idling but gives off more as you are driving around. Even full blast while driving around, it never gets warm enough to the point where I would want to take my coat off. I doubt it would even melt away ice. I saw someone else on this site have a similar problem and they said they "flushed" out their heater core and it seemed to work fine after that. Is that a feasible solution or is there something else going on here?
JASONRAY
We need to first see how hot your truck is actually getting. What does the gauge say? It should run about 210 degrees. If it is, feel of both hoses going into the heater core, through the firewall. Is one hot and the other cool? Or cooler? If so, the water may not be circulating through the core. Keep in mind that if the water is circulating, and the blower is on, blowing air through the core, the water temperature on the outlet side of the heater core will be slightly cooler. If the water is not circulating through it, one will be considerably cooler. If this is the case, I only recommend replacing it. If it appears to be circulating, I would start checking the operation of the blend door in the evaporator case. If it is mostly closed off to the core, little or no air will pass through the heater core, thus no hot air will reach your cold face or feet try that. If the truck is, in fact, not reaching 210 degrees, replace the thermostat.

Also, it could be a blend door actuator acting up.

and

Please run some tests and get back to us so we can keep helping you.

Cheers,
-1
47BOBBER
Truck is reaching the correct running temperature of about 210 degrees and does not over heat. A bad thermostat is unlikely. The water does seem to be circulating because both hoses are getting hot. The outlet hose is slightly cooler. Where would I find the blend door, and how would I go about replacing/fixing it? What would stick out as obviously wrong with it? Thank you.
+1
AUTOFIXER2
In my experience if the heater core is plugged, you will get heat for a short time and then the air will blow cold. This is because there is flow in and out but very little out. So the core fills up with coolant and when you turn on the heat it initially blows hot but the coolant is stagnant because of the output. So if you turn the blower off for a bit and back on you will get heat for another few minutes. Is this happening to you? Also, if the thermostat is stuck opened then coolant will not reach operating temperature or will take a very long time to reach. It depends on the cooling system. If you have good flow and a heavy duty radiator (three rows inside) then the coolant will never get hot. Also, I have flushed several cores over the years mostly using the water hose. If it is easy enough to remove both heater hoses, why do you not block the hoses and check the core for flow using either air or the garden hose. You will know immediately and you will not lose much coolant. If you use water be sure you do not put full steady pressure. Short bursts. If it is clogged and dirty be sure you flush the complete system with the Prestone flush kit. Flush it, do not just drain it. Let us know how you did.
+1
JASONRAY
The blend door is in the EVAP case. Do not try this if you are scared. The dash is going to have to come out. That is a process all by itself. The AC system will have to be discharged as well. Remove the case from the firewall. Before we jump into that, lets check the operation of the actuator first. The door in question is controlled by an electric actuator that receives its signal from the AC control head. I do not have the information in front of me because it is Sunday and I am at home, but I think it is on top of the evaporator case and nearly impossible to get to. I will know for sure tomorrow when I get to work and can look at my computer there. This is way more likely than the actual door being stuck, although that can happen. Rats can build nests in there and block the door. The blower can suck a Sonic napkin out of the floor into the case and there is no telling where it will end up. But, before you go to that trouble, check the actuator. Try turning the temp control from hot to cold. (With the vehicle on) Do you hear any change at all? Listen closely behind the glove box for anything. Start there.
+3
47BOBBER
The other day I flushed out the heater core with a garden hose. Used short bursts of water pressure. The heat seems to be working much better since I have done this. Cross my fingers, hope it stays that way.
AUTOFIXER2
Just a footnote: if the heater core was in fact plugged, then the coolant system may very well be in dire need of flushing. Otherwise the problem may reoccur. Good luck.

Sponsored links