2000 Chevrolet Silverado Ignition key cylinder

OMAR88
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Someone tried stealing my truck and messed up my ignition cylinder. I had someone who I thought knew what was doing try and replace it but he could take it off. So he drilled it to remove it, but when he removed it and placed the new one in he said it wouldnt turn all the way and he had a hard time taking the new one off aswell. So he put the old one in and now I have to turn it on with a flat head. What do you think may be wrong, and how much would a average mechanic charge?
Friday, August 23rd, 2013 AT 11:42 AM

Prices vary all over so cost would be left to an estimate. But the steering column and air bag need to be removed to actually remove it correctly.
Friday, August 23rd, 2013 AT 12:07 PM
OMAR88
So do you think thats why its so difficult to remove. Because I seen where its so easy to take out and replace.
Friday, August 23rd, 2013 AT 12:44 PM
There is a pin that needs to be pushed ot move it out right, have a pro do it. The you tube things are people that are normally pros
Friday, August 23rd, 2013 AT 12:45 PM
OMAR88
Ok but do you think I may need a whole new steering column, because thats what the guy told me when he couldnt fix it. But I think I should have just went to a real pro. Never again I have someone recommend someone to me lol
Friday, August 23rd, 2013 AT 12:48 PM
No you don't need a column take this to a professional and tell him what has happened the guy you had do it is a hack the absolute most that would need replacing would be a collar on column and switch. Nothing else. Take this to a real repair shop. Most of the pros aren't dishonest
Friday, August 23rd, 2013 AT 12:50 PM
OMAR88
Ok sounds good man I really appreciate the advise, sorry for so many questions, Im not the car guy who knows about things like this I just want to make sure the repair guys dont try to cheat me. If you were in my situation how much would you think its to much just by what I told you what was wrong with it?
Friday, August 23rd, 2013 AT 12:54 PM
Prices vary allover u.S. Get an estimate can offer nothing else comment wise
Friday, August 23rd, 2013 AT 12:56 PM
OMAR88
I understand thanks again for the help!
Friday, August 23rd, 2013 AT 12:57 PM