2000 IMPALA IGNITION SWITCH PROBLEM

• jcleveland8
  • 2000 Chevrolet Impala

I have a 2000 Impala and have been having trouble with the Passlock security system. I have just removed the ignition switch and disassembled it to clean the contacts which were blackened. When I got it back together and put the key in I get the door chimes but no other lights on the dash or any other action. Any ideas? I know it probably needs to go through the reprogram sequence but right now the ignition switch is not working. The car does have a remote start installed but it will not start with that either. I thought the remote start could be the problem but I should see dash lights when I insert the key even if it does not start

Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 AT 6:41 PM

• saturntech9

So you took apart the ignition switch and cleaned it and now you dont have any power to the dash lights blower motor etc?Have you checked all the fuses to see if you blew any?Also do you have a multimeter or test light?If so which one do you have?

Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 AT 7:39 PM
  • jcleveland8

I had the battery disconnected while I did the work and I have checked fuses. I do have a multimeter.

Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 AT 8:02 PM
  • saturntech9

Lets start by checking the solid red wire to the ignition switch it should have battery voltage to it at all times. So all the dash lights blower motor etc worked before you took the switch apart?Let me know if you have battery voltage to that solid red wire. You just have a bad ignition switch since you took it apart parts aren't made to be repaired these days we live in a throw away world.

Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 AT 8:54 PM
  • jcleveland8

Yes I do have battery volts. I did not remove the lock cylinder, all I did was remove the cover from the actual switch and clean the contacts. That is why I was asking if it could be another problem. Should I get dash lights and radio no matter what else is going on if I insert the key and turn it?

Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 AT 9:26 PM
  • saturntech9

Yes you should have the dash lights warning lights blower motor working etc. So did the starter work when you turned the key to the start position before you cleaned the switch?Also put the key in the start position and see if you have battery voltage at the yellow wire coming out of the ignition switch. Let me know.

Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 AT 9:47 PM
  • jcleveland8

Yes the starter worked fine and there is no voltage on the yellow wire with the key turned.

Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 AT 10:25 PM
  • saturntech9

Looks like the ignition switch isn't working correctly and needs to be replaced to start with. As you can see from the diagram I posted the red wire feeds the battery voltage into the switch and when you turn the switch to the start position battery voltage is sent thru the yellow wire which isn't happening. But the red wire has battery voltage so bad switch you could have more then one problem but getting a new switch is where we need to start.

Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 AT 11:06 PM
  • jcleveland8

Thanks for your help. I was assuming it was the switch but I wanted to get another opinion in case I was missing something. I will get one in the morning and try it.

Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 AT 11:27 PM
  • saturntech9

Your welcome keep me posted on what you find and how it works with the new switch.

Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 AT 11:29 PM
  • jcleveland8

I installed the new switch and now I am back to my original problem of not being able to start the car because of the passlock security system. I have tried the reprogram sequence of turning the key to run and letting it sit for 10 minutes. I also did it 3 times in a row like some people say but it still will not start. Do you think it could be a bad passlock sensor? Is there any way to test this?

Thursday, June 16th, 2011 AT 5:57 PM