2000 Impala ignition switch problem

JCLEVELAND8
  • 2000 CHEVROLET IMPALA

I have a 2000 Impala and have been having trouble with the Passlock security system. I have just removed the ignition switch and disassembled it to clean the contacts which were blackened. When I got it back together and put the key in I get the door chimes but no other lights on the dash or any other action. Any ideas? I know it probably needs to go through the reprogram sequence but right now the ignition switch is not working. The car does have a remote start installed but it will not start with that either. I thought the remote start could be the problem but I should see dash lights when I insert the key even if it does not start

Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 AT 6:41 PM

SATURNTECH9

So you took apart the ignition switch and cleaned it and now you dont have any power to the dash lights blower motor etc?Have you checked all the fuses to see if you blew any?Also do you have a multimeter or test light?If so which one do you have?

-1
Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 AT 7:39 PM
JCLEVELAND8

I had the battery disconnected while I did the work and I have checked fuses. I do have a multimeter.

-1
Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 AT 8:02 PM
SATURNTECH9

Lets start by checking the solid red wire to the ignition switch it should have battery voltage to it at all times. So all the dash lights blower motor etc worked before you took the switch apart?Let me know if you have battery voltage to that solid red wire. You just have a bad ignition switch since you took it apart parts aren't made to be repaired these days we live in a throw away world.

Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 AT 8:54 PM
JCLEVELAND8

Yes I do have battery volts. I did not remove the lock cylinder, all I did was remove the cover from the actual switch and clean the contacts. That is why I was asking if it could be another problem. Should I get dash lights and radio no matter what else is going on if I insert the key and turn it?

Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 AT 9:26 PM
SATURNTECH9

Yes you should have the dash lights warning lights blower motor working etc. So did the starter work when you turned the key to the start position before you cleaned the switch?Also put the key in the start position and see if you have battery voltage at the yellow wire coming out of the ignition switch. Let me know.

Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 AT 9:47 PM
JCLEVELAND8

Yes the starter worked fine and there is no voltage on the yellow wire with the key turned.

Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 AT 10:25 PM
SATURNTECH9

Looks like the ignition switch isn't working correctly and needs to be replaced to start with. As you can see from the diagram I posted the red wire feeds the battery voltage into the switch and when you turn the switch to the start position battery voltage is sent thru the yellow wire which isn't happening. But the red wire has battery voltage so bad switch you could have more then one problem but getting a new switch is where we need to start.

Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 AT 11:06 PM
JCLEVELAND8

Thanks for your help. I was assuming it was the switch but I wanted to get another opinion in case I was missing something. I will get one in the morning and try it.

Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 AT 11:27 PM
SATURNTECH9

Your welcome keep me posted on what you find and how it works with the new switch.

Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 AT 11:29 PM
JCLEVELAND8

I installed the new switch and now I am back to my original problem of not being able to start the car because of the passlock security system. I have tried the reprogram sequence of turning the key to run and letting it sit for 10 minutes. I also did it 3 times in a row like some people say but it still will not start. Do you think it could be a bad passlock sensor? Is there any way to test this?

Thursday, June 16th, 2011 AT 5:57 PM
SATURNTECH9

When you did the relearn procedure and did it three cycles did you make sure you waited for the security light to change status like the light was flashing and shut off or went from flashing to solid or solid to off before you did the next cycle of turning it off then trying to start it and let it sit in the position until the light changed status again before the next cycle was performed?I would also try it four cycles to see if it resets. You could have a bad pass lock sensor iam having trouble logging into are online repair data as soon as I can I will get you more info.

Thursday, June 16th, 2011 AT 6:05 PM
JCLEVELAND8

I have probably done 8 or 9 cycles since installing the ignition switch. We have been dealing with this problem for 2 years now and sometimes the relearn works on the first try, sometimes not at all and then the car will start randomly a day or two later. Also for some reason in this car the security light will never stop flashing, not after 10 minutes or even an hour, but it has been starting up until now after a few trys with the relearn. Once the car is started the security light will go off.

Thursday, June 16th, 2011 AT 7:01 PM
SATURNTECH9

Usually on those cars you would find a bad pass lock sensor but we need to see what codes the body control module has. Depending on the code number you would also need a scan tool that you could to see live bcm data to diagnose that just depends on what code we have.

Thursday, June 16th, 2011 AT 7:49 PM
JCLEVELAND8

I have a OBD-II scanner but I think you are talking about a different scanner. Do you know where I could purchase a pass lock sensor other than a dealership?

Thursday, June 16th, 2011 AT 7:58 PM
SATURNTECH9

The pass lock sensor is part of ignition cylinder you can buy them on www. Rockauto. Com you can get them with or without keys if you get it without keys you will have to have a lock smith code the cylinder to your key you have now. Also does your key less entry work your remote to lock and unlock door and turn the alarm on and off with remote?

Thursday, June 16th, 2011 AT 8:33 PM
SATURNTECH9

To read your bcm codes you would need a more expensive and advanced scanner then your typical obd2 code reader which just reads obd2 generic codes.

Thursday, June 16th, 2011 AT 8:37 PM
JCLEVELAND8

The keyless entry does work to lock and unlock and will silence the panic alarm.

Thursday, June 16th, 2011 AT 8:48 PM
SATURNTECH9

Thats good to hear so were looking at a pass lock system failure somewhere. Most likely a bad passlock sensor but without getting codes etc were just guessing.

Thursday, June 16th, 2011 AT 9:10 PM
JCLEVELAND8

Thanks for your help again. I have to leave for work so I will look at the car again tomorrow. I think I will pull the key cylinder back out and check the connection of the passlock plug. I thought maybe I could just buy the passlock sensor since it plugs into the key cylinder.

Thursday, June 16th, 2011 AT 9:36 PM
SATURNTECH9

Your welcome that's what were here for. From what I see it's part of the cylinder. Keep me posted on what you find.

Thursday, June 16th, 2011 AT 10:32 PM