MY ENGINE ISN'T RUNNING HOT BUT THE GAUGE SAYS IT IS

• Ralo
  • 2000 CHEVROLET IMPALA

My 2000 Chevy Impala temperature gauge is indicating that the engine is running hot, but the engine is cool. A/C works on and off. I have already ready replaced the thermostat and also replaced the temp gauge sensor, but the temperature gauge still indicate I have replaced both fans, thermostat, and temp. Gauge sensor.

Wednesday, October 26th, 2011 AT 2:24 PM

• Ralo

My 2000 Chevy Impala temperature gauge is indicating that the engine is running hot, but the engine is not showing signs of running hot or leaking cooliant. I have already ready replaced both fans, thermostat and also replaced the temp guage sensor, but the temperature guage still indicates that the car tempature is hot. Any solution to this problem?

Wednesday, October 26th, 2011 AT 5:05 PM
  • Cadieman

If the gauge goes past 3/4 and you have installed the proper thermostat. You need to buy a auto therometer to put in the radiator to check coolant temputure. If the engines hot you should be hearing the engine pinging.

Wednesday, October 26th, 2011 AT 9:12 PM
  • Kevin Voss

I have the same problem with a '95 Buick Century with the 3.1 V6. When I bought it the previous owner said it has always been like that and the car never overheats at all. I replaced the coolant temp sensor figuring it was bad but that didn't fix it. I heard that there is a computer temperature sensor apparently behind the thermostat housing but I can't find one. I bled the cooling system but didn't notice any air coming out, just coolant. Everything seems fine just the gauge reads high and it gets there in about two minutes after starting the engine and stays right up at the red zone. Of course I'd like to fix it but not sure what to check next and I have run it hard and then stopped and felt under the hood and feel no excessive heat at all, just seems a normal temperature. No pinging, no problems, thing runs great, plenty of power at 75000 miles.

Friday, July 1st, 2016 AT 11:04 PM