Cylinder Misfire Cause?

ZENSLIEV
  • 2000 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
I have a 2000 Chevy Cavalier 2.2L which was recently diagnosed as having a cracked cylinder head as the reason for a bad misfire. From the mechanic's own words, radiator fluid had been leaking into the cylinder, but my radiator fluid levels are fine, there's none of the typical smell of antifreeze after driving the car, and it hasn't had any engine temp problems in a while, despite driving around with the misfire for over a month or so now. They already charged me $700 for electrical work that they first 'diagnosed' as the problem. Could this be the real reason, or is my mechanic just trying to bilk me out of even more money?
Saturday, April 30th, 2011 AT 6:29 PM

SATURNTECH9
You can tell if coolant is being burned in the combustion chamber they have a chemical test kit that you put a test fluid in and run the car while it set's in the coolant bottle opening. They rent the tool at auto zone for free all you have to do is buy the fluid for it which I think is under 10. As far as being charged 700 for fixing the problem then they say now its this other problem I say is wrong I would call them on that one. Let me know what you find.
Saturday, April 30th, 2011 AT 6:39 PM
OBXAUTOMEDIC

Ok, there can be many reasons for a cylinder miss fire. Do you have the engine code for the misfire? If so post it. If not go by your local auto parts store and ask them to pull codes for you and write them down and post.

The cause is typically a vacuum leak in the intake manifold, throttle body or vacuum plumbing, a defective Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve that is leaking exhaust into the intake manifold, or even bad gasoline. Less common causes include bad spark plug wires, worn or fouled spark plugs, a weak ignition coil, dirty fuel injectors, low fuel pressure, or weak valve springs. If a misfire is occurring in only one or two cylinders, you will usually find a misfire code for that specific cylinder rather than a random misfire code.
+2
Saturday, April 30th, 2011 AT 6:44 PM