2000 Chevrolet Astro Engine will not start.

BSTANG99
  • 2000 CHEVROLET ASTRO
  • AWD
When I try to start the truck the engine cranks but will not fire. After I turn the key off it seems to fire and tries to start. It used to do this a lot when it was damp or raining out but now it just doesn't start at all.
Thursday, January 16th, 2014 AT 4:49 PM

TY ANDERSON
This might sound weird but have someone try to start the engine while someone else is hitting the bottom of the fuel tank with a dead blow hammer or something with mass. These fuel pumps are known for having issues. Doing this will help the pump become unsiezed and start to spin again. You should hear a buzzing noise every time the ignition key is cycled it is just priming the fuel system to start the engine. Make sure there is enough fuel in the tank also because some fuel level sensors wear out and no longer read an accurate fuel level.
If this doesn't work check for spark, and all the spark plug wires.
The fuel injectors also have issues with leaking fuel into the intake disrupting the fuel air mixture preventing the vehicle to start due to flooding.
Try this and get back to me.
-2
Thursday, January 16th, 2014 AT 9:12 PM
BSTANG99
I went out and tried to start the van the next morning without doing anything to the van. It started right up but it was cold and dry out not damp. So it seems like the problem is still there. When it's damp outside then the van will not start ! After running the van for awhile it started running rough and wanting to die out with black smoke coming out of the exhaust. So I have two problems now. Van will not start when damp and running rough with black smoke out of exhaust.
-1
Monday, January 20th, 2014 AT 7:13 AM
TY ANDERSON
Humid climates can create a easier pathways for spark to flow. If there are excessive resistance in the ignition system spark will take the easiest path and a damp environment will help.
Check the condition of the spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotors.
If the spark plug gap is excessive or the center electrode on the spark plug has sloped edges. It might be a good idea to replace all the above.
Check the distributor cap for build up on the inside of each cylinder terminal or carbon tracking. The same with the rotor.
Any resistance in the ignition system is going to weaken the strength of the spark and/or redirect away from the spark plugs causing misfire, no start, partial firing, etc.
Let me know what you find.
Monday, January 20th, 2014 AT 7:23 PM