1999 Toyota Sienna engine won't start

LOVETOSAMBA
  • 1999 TOYOTA SIENNA
I got a crack in my radiator. Put on a sealant recommended by auto parts store, and put in antifreeze. Ran ok for 1 week. Then, on a cold morning, 29 degrees, drove car 3 miles. I had smoke coming from engine and it smelled on burning antifreeze. After the car cooled, I noticed the fill tank was empty, so I put in water. It was now about 45 degrees outside. I drove for about 1 1/2 miles, then noticed car was starting to overheat. Stopped and let car cool down. NO water had left the fill tank. I tried to drive car home about 2 miles when the car was cool. Car thermostat started to heat up again. Did not get to red mark, but the car engine suddenly died, and "check engine" light came on. Engine was hot because I had smoke coming off of engine again. I tried to restart the car, but it will not completely turn over. It cranks, but does not catch. Still won't start though totally cool now. No water left the fill tank, so I am assuming the engine overheated. QUESTION: Will just replacing the radiator solve the problem, or is the engine wrecked? I can buy a new radiator because I have someone who will install it for $25, but I cannot afford to take car to a mechanic this month if I also have to pay for a diagnosis. Money is very tight.
Monday, November 23rd, 2015 AT 5:32 PM

F4I_GUY
Never, ever just use straight water, the water can boil and stem and overheat your engine. This is most leaking what happened.
And never put that stop leak stuff in your radiator, it makes it worse. A simple repair of a radiator may of turned into an engine overhaul because you didn't want to fix something as critical as a coolant leak the proper way.

If somehow, the engine is fine, replace the rad, don't patch it up.
Monday, November 23rd, 2015 AT 8:46 PM