ELECTRICAL ISSUE, 99

1999 Toyota Corolla

r1987

Background:

I have a 99 Corolla, lately I had problem with battery dying so I had to boost it. In the last attempt a sparked and Alt 100 fuse died and I had to change it, until this point the car was starting just fine. Keys was sometimes stuck while trying to start it.

The issue:

When I try start the car the engine keep cranking until I hold the key all the way down and touch the gas paddle. The car then will start but idle little rough, if I let the keys go will back to try starting (cranking) this will not stop until I disconnect the Battery even-though I take the key off. Yesterday though stopped when I take the key off.

I was told that problem is either steering column or key core cylinder!

Thank you for your help in advance

mhpautos

Probably a faulty ignition switch, have this checked first.

r1987

First, thank you for the quick reply.

What's difference between key lock clyinder and ignition? Because when I look it up key lock clyinder keep pop up.

How can I rest it?

Thank you

mhpautos

Remove the column trim and you will see that the barrel and lock will be a separate item with the ignition switch attached to the rear, I would be replacing both as the barrel and key assembly sound faulty as well.

Starter Replacement
Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011