1999 Toyota Carolla

DJBOWEN
  • 1999 TOYOTA COROLLA
I was given a 1999 Toyota Carolla. I was given only one key for the car (plain key, no plastic cover like newer keys have); the key opens the doors, but not the trunk. It will turn the ignition and the engine turns over, but the car will not start. Does the ignition key for this model/year have a key with a microchip in it?
Saturday, December 25th, 2010 AT 1:41 PM

KHLOW2008
Our database ibndicates this model is not equipped with immobilizer system so the key does not have any transponder in it.

The key you have is not the master key therefore you would not be able to use it to open the trunk.

Does the security indicator light flashes when door is opened or while trying to start?

Does the horn goes off indicating the alarm has been triggerred when door is opened?
Are you able to crank the engine?
Saturday, December 25th, 2010 AT 5:20 PM
DJBOWEN
The only lights that I see when I open the door are the dome light and the 'door open' light. On top of the dashboard near the windshield, in front of the steering wheel is what I think might be the security indicator, but it does not seem to be lighting (now, in the daylight at least)when I open the door or try to start the car.
The horn works, but does not sound as an alarm in response to opening the door.
The engine cranks easily, but no hint of it trying to start. I sprayed some starting fluid into the air intake, but even that did not cause any sign of life in the engine as I would expect, if only momentarily. I just checked the 7.5 amp fuse indicated as the ignition fuse and it looks OK.
(The car sat without being started for 3 years, was out of gas and the battery was toast. I replaced the positive cable clamp and the battery, put in 1 gallon of fresh gasoline and 1 can of dry gas prior to posting my original question, all to no avail except that I no longer have to use jumper cables to power the car.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Saturday, December 25th, 2010 AT 7:33 PM
KHLOW2008
The following links shows you what to look for when engine could not be started.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Have the compression checked if ignition sparks and fuel are available.
Sunday, December 26th, 2010 AT 10:33 AM