IM AT THE REASSEMBLY STAGE OF REPLACING THE ...

1999 Toyota Camry

Anonymous

December, 5, 2012 AT 9:10 PM

I'm at the reassembly stage of replacing the timing belt. The manual I have had me put the engine in the tdc position, which I did. I removed all the appropiate parts and replaced with new ones. The manual and the instructions with the timing belt kit, says to align the mark on the crank gear with the mark on the block. That's been done. Also the cam gear has been placed in the proper position. The next few steps I find fairly confusing. The timing belt has been placed on the lower gears and Idler. The next step says to put on the lower timing cover and torque to specifications. Then it says to make sure that the mark on the harmonic balancer pulley aligns with tdc, which it doesn't. My question is, shouldn't these two points line up, and why aren't mine? Please advise. I'm in a holding pattern trying to decide what to do, not wanting to have to take it apart and put it back together again. I would appreciate your input. Thanks, Steve.

December, 5, 2012 AT 9:42 PM

There is a mark or timing scale on the cover and a knick in the balancer to line up with 0. Do that as the crank mark.

Step by Step Timing Belt Replacement Guide
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue