Help, change the vapor canister

STRRMIC321
  • 1999 TOYOTA CAMRY
My catalytic converter only smells when I get on the gas or when I climb a hill. The smell is not constant and goes away pretty quick. I hate to replace the vapor canister, but I am getting an engine code of p0406. I heard the codes can be more than one item. I just want to try and narrow it down. The canister alone is over $200. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Friday, December 10th, 2010 AT 3:31 PM

WRENCHTECH
I'm not sure where your getting any of this but PO406 is an EGR code and it doesn't even apply to your vehicle.
Friday, December 10th, 2010 AT 3:35 PM
STRRMIC321
Well, I am confused. I hooked up my scanner and received the code P0406 and I put my software in with my vehicle information and it said Auxiliary Emissions Control. I visited google and typed in the code and it says its for my car. Hmmmm
Saturday, December 11th, 2010 AT 11:56 AM
STRRMIC321
So, I see under another website, that the code is generic. I did also notice some information under Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor A Circuit High. Could the egr cause the catalytic converter to smell every now and then. MY apologies as I am a woman, and my husband calls my toyota a lemon cause he is a chevy man. I just try to research things on my own.
Saturday, December 11th, 2010 AT 12:08 PM
WRENCHTECH
The equipment your using is completely unreliable. This needs to be scanned using a professional scan tool to get accurate information. That does not apply to your vehicle.
Saturday, December 11th, 2010 AT 12:12 PM
STRRMIC321
I see, well useless scanner then. What if I go to Autozone and get them to check the engine light. Is there scanner more professional.
Saturday, December 11th, 2010 AT 12:26 PM
WRENCHTECH
Not really. Most of the OBD2 generic stuff that they sell is just DIY tools that gets very basic info out of the computer and is not programmed for any specific vehicle. You should at least be able to get an accurate code number from them though. You have to realize that when you compare the tools they sell for $100 to $200 that they aren't even close to the equipment and software that we pay $5,000 to $20,000 and more for. They try to make a cheap tool that will do the basic job but they are just full of incompatibilities.
Saturday, December 11th, 2010 AT 12:40 PM
STRRMIC321
Wow, so my $50 buck tool isn't worth a crap. Well do you have any suggestions on why my car has the rotten egg smell only while I am getting on the gas from a complete stop.
Saturday, December 11th, 2010 AT 4:21 PM
WRENCHTECH
You need to get accurate codes first.
Saturday, December 11th, 2010 AT 10:26 PM