Saturn SL1 won't start on occasion

BANKS
  • 1999 SATURN SL1
My maunal transmission Saturn '99 SL1 occasionally will not start. When the key is in ignition the dash lights turn on as well as the radio. Battery and terminals are clean and fine. I would drive it for either short or long period of time, hop back in to a car that won't start. I wait for about an hour or more try to start it and it starts up fine. I cannot pin point what the problem might be? I just find it strange that after an hour of waiting it starts up and runs just fine. Can anyone help?
Wednesday, September 28th, 2011 AT 11:27 PM

SATURNTECH9
Sounds like a bad starter the starter solenoid gets hot fails/sticks then no power to starter to engage. Do you have a multimeter or test light to do some testing?Should be pretty easy to figure out.
Thursday, September 29th, 2011 AT 12:16 AM
SATURNTECH9
Also have you had the battery tested just to rule that out?Just because you have dash lights doesnt mean you have the power to start the car.
Thursday, September 29th, 2011 AT 12:20 AM
BANKS
I've had the battery tested and that's fine. But no I do not have a multimeter or test light. Should I invest in one before taking it in to my local mechanic? How does this testing work?
Thursday, September 29th, 2011 AT 4:32 PM
SATURNTECH9
Yes I would invest in one the test light is the easiest to use though out of the two. To test it you would have to wait till it didnt start then with the car in neutral and the clutch pedal pushed all the way to the floor see if you have power to the purple wire at the starter with the key in the start position. If you do bad starter. Its a real basic test easy to do if you remove the intake tube you should be able to test that wire without having to get under the car.I have done it that way before let me know what you find.
Thursday, September 29th, 2011 AT 4:45 PM
BANKS
I will try it out and get back to you, thanks!
Thursday, September 29th, 2011 AT 4:51 PM
SATURNTECH9
Just be sure when your testing for power you dont ground the tip of the test light. Also they sell test lights with a longer probe I would try to find one of those so it will be easier to test from the top.
Thursday, September 29th, 2011 AT 5:03 PM