Intermittent starting issue

DWBROWNEYE
  • 1999 SATURN SL1
Car starts cold, starts hot, but allowed to cool off for 20 mins or so acts like it has no spark. Crank it a few times and you can smell gas. Mechanic says MAYBE crank angle sensor. What do you think and where is it located?
Saturday, March 19th, 2011 AT 5:10 PM

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing
Saturday, March 19th, 2011 AT 5:13 PM
SATURNTECH9
Just to add to this one if you don't don't have spark when it doesn't start you need to check the crank sensor really common for them to fail on that car. If you have a multimeter the crank sensor should be around 800 ohm's. The sensor is on the back side of the block under the starter towards the alternator. There is a yellow and a purple wire going to the crank sensor.
Saturday, March 19th, 2011 AT 5:22 PM
DWBROWNEYE
HUMMM, we just had the starter replaced. Maybe the sensor or wire got damaged. Thanks I'll have to check that.
Saturday, March 19th, 2011 AT 5:29 PM
SATURNTECH9
I doubt the wire got damaged it really isn't in the way of changing the starter. You probably just have a bad crank shaft position pretty common on those car's I have replaced a lot of those sensor's. Let us know what you find.
Saturday, March 19th, 2011 AT 5:38 PM
DWBROWNEYE
Well, installed the new CPS, checked the ohm's first got about 764, could not get a reading on the old one, I'm really hoping that is the problem. The old car seems to run very well otherwise. Thanks
David
Sunday, March 20th, 2011 AT 11:49 PM
You should have a reading on the old CPS if its good-
Monday, March 21st, 2011 AT 12:36 AM
SATURNTECH9
If the old crank sensor didn't read about 800 ohms then it was bad I would say you found your problem. Glad to hear it.
Monday, March 21st, 2011 AT 1:55 AM