My 99 poniac shuts off when I drive it

MRGREEN33
  • 1999 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
I have a 99 poniac grand prix 3.8 engine and it just shuts off on me when I drive it I let it sit for 30 minutes and it starts rite back up I changed the battery tested the altinator and it still just shut off when I drive what could be the problem?
Monday, April 25th, 2011 AT 4:56 PM

SATURNTECH9
Do you have any codes in the computer?If you haven't checked yet that is the first thing I would do most auto parts stores will check for free if you don't live in california. Next time it dies and won't start check for spark let me know if you have any. They sell spark testers pretty cheap at the auto parts store.
Monday, April 25th, 2011 AT 5:06 PM
MRGREEN33
Yes I did the code read that it was a crank shaft position censor but Icalled a part store and they said it also could be the control module I'm lost cuz I dnt wanna get the parts and it repeats the problem over.
Monday, April 25th, 2011 AT 5:18 PM
SATURNTECH9
I need the exact code number not the code description and I will help you figure it out.
Monday, April 25th, 2011 AT 5:56 PM
MRGREEN33
When I hooked the scanner up to the car it says no DTC, s or freeze frame data presently stored in the vehicles computer
Monday, April 25th, 2011 AT 11:39 PM
SATURNTECH9
So you don't remember the code you had before?If your getting a crankshaft position sensor code then I would suspect you could have a bad sensor. DO you have a multimeter to do some testing?
Tuesday, April 26th, 2011 AT 12:02 AM
MRGREEN33
No I dnt do you think that it could be the system module or the egnition coil that makes the car just shut off like that?
Tuesday, April 26th, 2011 AT 12:13 AM
SATURNTECH9
Most likely I think its the sensor if you can get a meter we can do some testing instead of expensive guessing. Meters are cheap.
Tuesday, April 26th, 2011 AT 1:24 AM
MRGREEN33
What kind of meter?
Tuesday, April 26th, 2011 AT 2:08 AM
SATURNTECH9
A multimeter that reads voltage ohms etc.
Tuesday, April 26th, 2011 AT 2:56 AM