I NEED HELP WITH MY GRAND AM SE 2.4

• brett6591
  • 1999 Pontiac Grand Am

I am getting a check engine code for my pontiac grand am se 2.4 motor the code is p0171 systen to lean bank 1 so I was told this is making my car dump alot of fule to try to fix itself but now I have changed my ox sensor bank 1 2 times and no change and the cars cat is gettting really hot now the messed up part is that the car only dose this from time to time my check engine light will just go off on its own and the car will run fine no problems and then is will come back on and the car will be running like crap again and just this past winter I had gone like 2 mounth without a problem so when the car is cold I dont seem to be as bad in the winter any help would be great

Tuesday, July 10th, 2012 AT 3:08 AM

• saturntech9

So no one said the first thing you should check for is a vacuum leak with that code?Thats the first thing I would look for is a vacuum that would set a lean code for sure.

Tuesday, July 10th, 2012 AT 3:59 AM
  • brett6591

Yes I have tryed when the car is running it is at a low idle and I had tryed spraying starting flu to see if I could get my idle to raise I had sprayed the wiring harness and other lines to see if it would work

Tuesday, July 10th, 2012 AT 4:20 AM
  • saturntech9

Never use starting fluid its highly flamable and you could catch yourself on fire. Use carb spray and spraying around the wires isnt going to tell you anything. Spray around all the vacuum lines intake gasket etc if the idle goes up down or stumbles or dies you found a leak. The best way to look for a leak that will even find the small leak is to use a scan tool that shows engine live data. Watch the fuel trims while your spraying if they spike you found a leak. Also a smoke test could find a leak.

Tuesday, July 10th, 2012 AT 4:37 AM
  • brett6591

Nope no leak and I am now getting a code for my bank 1 sensor 1 no activity?

Wednesday, July 11th, 2012 AT 7:23 PM
  • saturntech9

Alright have you checked the actual fuel pressure?Also are you talking about the new code is a o2 sensor code?If so what is the exact code number you have?That would be the o2 sensor in the exhaust manifold. Inspect the harness going to the o2 sensor. Also I have cars with the P0171 codes that took a smoke test to find the vacuum leak they replaced everything and finally found the vacuum leak with a smoke test. Just a thought.

Wednesday, July 11th, 2012 AT 9:16 PM
  • brett6591

Yes I have checked the fuel pressure it is fine ive never tryed a smoke test is this something I can do myself or must I take it to a shop I dont have my scaner anymore so ill have to take it back to autozone to get my code again ill post when I do

Wednesday, July 11th, 2012 AT 10:22 PM
  • saturntech9

Some people make there own smoke machines you can see them on you tube. The evap ones they sell that are made for that and for finding evap codes start about 700. You can always make your own smoke machine iam working on making one myself. You can also watch people doing smoke tests on you tube so you can get a idea of what iam talking about. Let me know what codes you have when you get it scanned.

Wednesday, July 11th, 2012 AT 10:29 PM