COOLING FANS

1999 Oldsmobile Alero

overworked

June, 30, 2011 AT 3:37 PM

Why are the cooling fans not working when they should be?

Wiring Issue?

saturntech9

June, 30, 2011 AT 3:40 PM

So the car overheats and the fans arent on?Please explain whats going on?

overworked

June, 30, 2011 AT 5:22 PM

As the temp goes up, the fans should start and cool the rad, but not starting. I changed the relays around to see if this was it. I also checked the fuses, not it. I was told that it may be a thermostat sensor but do not know where it is located.

saturntech9

June, 30, 2011 AT 5:52 PM

The coolant temp sensor is screwed into right where the upper hose goes onto the engine. Do you have a multimeter to do some testing?So the temp gauge goes up to where the fan normally comes on and the fan isn't coming on?Do any of the fans come on when the a/c is on at anytime?

Wrenchtech

June, 30, 2011 AT 6:09 PM

I believe you're expecting them to come on too soon. They aren't programmed to come on until about 225 or higher. That is intentional.

overworked

June, 30, 2011 AT 6:12 PM

The temp gauge is almost to the H, and even when the airconditiner is on, they don't work. I have a multimeter to check this sensor, but I did'nt know where it was located till now. Thanks.

Wrenchtech

June, 30, 2011 AT 6:36 PM

Have you tested the fan motor itself?

saturntech9

June, 30, 2011 AT 7:05 PM

The best way to solve this mystery is to get a infared temp gun that measures surface temps they are pretty cheap and can be used for a lot of different things. Use it to measure temp where the upper hose goes on the engine and see what temp its getting up too and when it reaches the correct temp about 225-226 you can see if the fan comes on if it doesnt then you can see if you have power and ground to your radiator fan motor and go from there.

Oil Change & Filter Replacement Toyota
Coolant Drain and Refill Scion XD
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Camaro
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Engine Oil Change and Filter Replacement
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Toyota
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX