Need timing marks for camshafts

ARTHUR CERECEREZ
  • 1999 NISSAN SENTRA
Need timing marks for camshafts on nissansentra gxe 1.6 dohc
Wednesday, February 16th, 2011 AT 5:55 AM

MHPAUTOS

There is marks for the primary and secondary chains here are the diagrams that show you the marks below. Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers
+2
Wednesday, February 16th, 2011 AT 6:32 AM
JONGSOO
  • 1999 NISSAN SENTRA
Tried starting the sentra early this am and it would not "turn over". There is a "whine", like there's no compression, so I suspect that the timing belt or chain is broken.
Monday, November 12th, 2018 AT 4:42 PM (Merged)
Do you mean the starter isn't cranking the engine? If it is, that's "turning over". What is the question? Your engine uses a timing chain. Those don't break real often, but yours does use a number of tensioning devices. If one of those fails, the timing chain can jump a few teeth.
JONGSOO
My mistake: the engine does "turn over", so it's not a battery or started problem. It sounds, though, as there's no compression, no firing going on. That's why I asked if the problem could be the timing chain/belt.
This engine isn't an interference engine, so a jumped timing chain won't damage the valves which would lead to no compression. However, if it jumped a few teeth, that would reduce compression.

To verify the chain is not broken, the first thing to look at is if the camshaft is turning, and you may be able to do that by watching the valves through the oil fill hole, as long as there's no baffle in the way. If you can't see in there, you'll have to remove a cover or pull it out of the way to watch the camshaft sprocket while a helper cranks the engine.

If the cam sprocket isn't turning, you know you'll be headed to the timing chain. If it IS turning, things will get a little more involved because you'll have to remove enough covers and things in the way to look at the timing marks on all the sprockets.

You might try a compression test too. If one or more cylinders has 0 pounds of compression, it is likely the camshaft isn't turning at all. If all cylinders are equal but have very low compression, suspect a jumped timing chain that's still turning the camshaft.
+1
STRATOS201
  • 1999 NISSAN SENTRA
When should timing belt, etc. Be changed? What
other components should be replaced at or by this
interval?
You have a timing chain and it doesn't have a normal interval replacement schedule. However if it stretches it needs changing.
+1
JAVAQUEEN10
  • 1999 NISSAN SENTRA
I can't find in my manual when I should have my timing belt changed or checked. I want to make sure it doesn't blow a rod.I"ve been told this could happen. I've had the car since it was new. And has been a great car.I want to keep it for another 100, ooo miles. Thanks. Shelly
You have a timing chain not a belt-
+1
LA GANZA
  • 1998 NISSAN SENTRA
1998 Nissan Sentra 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

I need timing belt marks or diagram of 98 nissan sentra 4 cyl. Thanks
ZACKMAN
You don't have a timing belt. You have chain. What exactly are you doing so we can steer you to the right direction?
+1
KLINT
  • 1998 NISSAN SENTRA
Good day, my name is Clint. I have a Nissan Sentra 1.6 GSI 1998 model, I would like to know where the timing marks are on the cam shafts, main drive pulleys and the distributor, and how do I set the timing right with a timing light, and at what idle(rpm) speed should it be at?

The vehicle runs very uneven and has a lack of power when driving.

Nice site !
FIXITMR
Have you taken a compression test? Did this happen suddenly? How long have you owned car?
-1
KLINT
No the problem only started about a month ago, it would come and go. Now it is worse, while traveling, it's like the air con comes on and the car looses power and then starts to jerk. On accelarating the proble goes away only for a short while and then starts up again. The compression is still okay, the plug burn alight grey/white fuel consumption is still all right, but the jerking is becomming a problem.A friend said I should check the timing as this could also cause the problem.
-1
FIXITMR
What about a EGR issue? Too lean a mixture would have the effect you are describing? Or it could be ignition related.
TOMMYFLM
  • 1996 NISSAN SENTRA
Changed really bad upper chain tensioner, car quiet now but still runs badly and chain still seems too sloppy. And why do timing marks jump around?--Bad distributor? Fuel system ok, all plugs fire, only code is rear O2 sensor, maybe from moving distributor around when attempting to set timing. How much deflection should slack-side of (upper) chain have?
If the timing jumps around, the chain is worn and should be replaced.
DTOLLY
  • 1996 NISSAN SENTRA
1996 Nissan Sentra 4 cyl Automatic 234000 miles

can I turn the bolts on the camshaft to check the timing belt?
MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

Never turn the engine over with the cam bolts, you can snap the bolt off, or skip a tooth on the cam belt and mess up the cam timing, always remover the spark plugs and turn the engine with the crank shaft front nut.