My 1999 Altima stalling & won't start at all now.

MARY MCK
  • 1999 NISSAN ALTIMA
I have been told my Altima may have either a 'distributor' problem or an 'mass air flow sensor' problem. The car is NOT starting AT ALL now, and last week it started this trouble by 'stalling' about every few blocks (upon acceleration), and seem to run better when it was 'cold' than when the engine heated up. WHAT"S WRONG WITH MY CAR! We have already tried new gas, stp gas treatment, & 'gum out' for the injectors, replaced fuel filter; and checked the fuel pump & it Does work. We also replaced the 'crank shaft position sensor' and that did not help much at all.
Tuesday, January 18th, 2011 AT 4:26 AM

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if so, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing
Tuesday, January 18th, 2011 AT 4:36 AM
MARY MCK
I apparently gave you the wrong email. I was trying to give you one I don't use as much, but I cannot access it. If you could PLEASE send my response/answer/ or any communication to 'marymck7777@yahoo. Com' I would certainly appreciate it! I will send you a donation when I can, but right this minute, I'm really strapped! Thank you again.--MM
Tuesday, January 18th, 2011 AT 4:41 AM
CTONLINE
It definately sounds very similar to the distributor problem that I have. The car would stop after a rumbling sound warning. The car would die more frequent after running but would restart after letting it cool off for 2-3 hours. Check and replace the distributor first.

My 96 altima is also not starting right now. At the start of the problem, the engine would just die after running for a few blocks. It restarted started again but now won't start at all. I'm thinking it mgiht be due to the cold weather as well. It's not below freezing, but I have not change my antifreeze coolant at all. Any similar case. Please post.
Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 4:27 AM
BACKYARDMECHANIC2
After doing my homework I answered my own question!The Camshaft sensor is located under the cap and rotor of the distributor. This is a common failure on the 2.4L engine due to oil leakage into the distributor.
I replaced the whole distributor which I purchased from the auto salvage, (i got lucky and found one that has been remand.)And replaced it and haven't had a starting problem since.
So good luck on anyone that is willing to try this but it worked for me.
+3
Tuesday, February 22nd, 2011 AT 5:17 PM