1999 Mercury Tracer transmission

Im just wondering if I have to pull the whole engine out to replace the transmission? Is there an easier way? Ive changed transmissions before but its been awhile and wanted to see if I'm on the right track with it plesse give me some tips and let know if I need to pull engine out with it?

Wednesday, July 24th, 2013 AT 7:03 AM

Yes you can remove the transmission WITHOUT removing the engine.
I'm sorry that I don't have any pictures to send you on this, but here is the step-by-step for removing the transmission.

1997-99 Models
1. Disconnect both battery cables, negative cable first.
2. Remove the battery and battery tray.
3. Remove the engine air cleaner assembly.
4. Unplug the Computer Control Relay Module (CCRM) electrical connections, unfasten the relay retainers and remove the relay and bracket from the engine.
5. Unfasten the shift control cable and bracket retaining nut from the manual shift lever, remove the shift cable and bracket clip, then set the bracket and cable assembly aside.
6. Tag and disconnect all electrical connections from the transaxle.
7. Remove the starter motor.
8. If equipped, unfasten the throttle valve actuating cable bolts and disconnect the cable from the throttle cam.
9. Install Engine Support D88L-6000-A or equivalent to the engine. The engine must be properly supported for transaxle removal.
10. Place a suitable drain pan under the transaxle and disconnect the transaxle cooler lines at the transaxle.
11. Remove the left-hand engine mount bolts and the mount.
12. Remove the upper transaxle housing bolts.
13. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
14. If equipped, remove the left-hand splash shields.
15. Remove the transaxle plug and drain the fluid.
16. Remove the halfshafts. Install two transaxle plugs T88C-7025-AH or equivalent, into the differential side gears.
Failure to install the transaxle plugs may cause the differential side gears to become improperly positioned. If the gears become misaligned, the differential will have to be removed from the transaxle to align them.
17. Remove the engine support crossmember and the catalytic converter.
18. Disconnect the A/C line from the retainer located on the engine support crossmember.
19. Unfasten the transaxle support crossmember bolts and nuts, the left-hand engine isolator nuts, and then remove the crossmember.
20. Unfasten the transaxle housing cover bolts and remove the cover.
21. Remove the four flywheel-to-torque converter nuts.
22. Position a suitable transaxle jack under the transaxle. Secure the transaxle to the jack.
23. Remove the remaining transaxle-to-engine bolts.
The upper front transaxle-to-engine bolt on 1997 models is equipped with a retainer and will remain in the engine block.
24. On 1997 models, unfasten the upper front transaxle-to-engine bolt.
25. Slowly lower the transaxle out of the vehicle.
26. Inspect all components including mounts and brackets.
To install:
Prior to installing the transaxle, lubricate the torque converter pilot hub with multi-purpose grease.
27. Align the torque converter studs to the flywheel.
28. Secure the transaxle on the transaxle jack.
29. Carefully raise the transaxle into position and install the middle and lower transaxle-to-engine bolts. Tighten the bolts to 40-58 ft. Lbs. (55-80 Nm).
30. On 1997 models, install the upper front transaxle-to-engine bolt. Tighten the bolt to 40-58 ft. Lbs. (55-80 Nm).
31. Install the flywheel-to-converter nuts and tighten them to 26-36 ft. Lbs. (35-49 Nm).
32. Install the transaxle housing cover and tighten the bolts to40-58 ft. Lbs. (55-80 Nm).
33. Install the engine support crossmember. Tighten the crossmember bolts and nuts to 47-65 ft. Lbs. (64-89 Nm) and the insulator nuts to 28-37 ft. Lbs. (38-51 Nm).
34. Install the front and rear upper transaxle-to-engine bolt and tighten it to 28-38 ft. Lbs. (38-51 Nm).
35. Remove the transaxle plugs and install the halfshafts.
36. Connect the crossmember to the transaxle mounts and the chassis. Tighten the crossmember-to-transaxle mount nuts to 27-38 ft. Lbs. (37-52 Nm). Tighten the crossmember-to-chassis nuts and bolts to 47-66 ft. Lbs. (64-89 Nm).
37. Install the lower transaxle-to-engine oil pan bolts and tighten to 27-38 ft. Lbs. (37-52 Nm).
38. Install the engine/transaxle splash shields.
39. Install the starter motor.
40. Attach all the electrical connections.
41. Lower the vehicle.
42. Install the upper transaxle-to-engine bolts and tighten to 40-58 ft. Lbs. (55-80 Nm).
43. Install the left-hand engine mount and tighten the nuts to 50-68 ft. Lbs. (67-93 Nm).
44. If equipped, connect the throttle valve cable at the throttle cam. Adjust the cable if necessary.
45. Remove the engine support.
46. Attach the shift cable and bracket to the manual shift lever, install the shift cable and bracket clip. Tighten the nut to 12-16 ft. Lbs. (16-22 Nm).
47. Install the engine air cleaner assembly. Adjust the cable as outlined in this section.
48. Install the battery tray and battery.
49. Connect both battery cables, negative cable last.
50. Add the proper type and quantity of transaxle fluid.
51. Check the transaxle for leaks and for proper operation.
52. Check the manual lever position sensor for proper adjustment.
53. Road test the vehicle and check for proper operation.

Wednesday, July 24th, 2013 AT 7:49 AM