GREETINGS ALL MY WIFES 1999 AWD 5

• Anonymous
  • 1999 Mercury Mountaineer
  • 145 miles

Greetings All,

My Wife's 1999 AWD 5.0L Mountaineer blew a transmission cooling line last week causing an obvious failure. She pulled over immediatly, saw the leak and shut off the motor. We had the truck brought home where I repaired the lines, refilled the trans fluid after which she ran down the street just as she always did.
My issue began when I pulled up my drive to park and check the fluid level again. After topping it off I climbed in, pulled the shifter into reverse and the damn thing banged and locked up. I can move her foward just fine, if I shut off the motor she moves freely in reverse, when she is running - neutral is free, and park is park. This trans has never slipped or jumped until this incident. The fluid and filter had been changed before winter. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Miles

Thursday, January 31st, 2013 AT 10:49 PM

• ASEMaster6371

Internal failure from the fluid loss and trying to move it. Not anybodies fault, something failed internally.

Friday, February 1st, 2013 AT 1:44 AM