1999 Mazda Protege cold start

CRUSHA01
  • 1999 MAZDA PROTEGE
Hello, I have a starting problem when my car sits for a few hours or over night. After sitting over night I removed the fuel line that goes to the fuel rail and there was no pressure. No fuel came out. I put back on the line and started the car for a few seconds then tested the line again. This time fuel sprayed out. Does this mean the fuel pump is bad? Could the fuel pump be the only issue? I removed the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator and no fuel came out.
Saturday, January 4th, 2014 AT 2:17 PM

Most likely the pump isn't feeding pressure quickly enough which is delaying the starting process. Check fuel pump pressure to see if it is within the manufacturer's specs and then check fuel pressure drop off. There are directions and a video on our homepage under the DIY section.
Saturday, January 4th, 2014 AT 3:05 PM
SATURNTECH9
Your going to have to get a fuel pressure gauge and watch the fuel pressure to see if it bleeds down.
Saturday, January 4th, 2014 AT 3:06 PM
CRUSHA01
Hey, This model is not equipped with the port on the rail to connect a pressure gauge
Saturday, January 4th, 2014 AT 3:17 PM
SATURNTECH9
A lot of the import cars arent like hondas etc you use the adapters for banjo fittings etc to check the pressures.
Saturday, January 4th, 2014 AT 3:42 PM
CRUSHA01
One other issue. When driving the car while its cold, it seems like it wanna choke and cut off when moving after I come to a stop for a few second then it accelerates.
Is this another sign of a bad fuel pump?
Sunday, January 5th, 2014 AT 3:25 PM
SATURNTECH9
Have you checked for vacuum leaks and for codes in the computer?
Sunday, January 5th, 2014 AT 5:01 PM
CRUSHA01
I checked myself for vacuum leaks but didn't find any. Will have to take it in to the shop
Sunday, January 5th, 2014 AT 5:03 PM
2CARPROS MIKE
It's fairly common for fuel pressure to bleed down over time. That is caused by a leaking check valve in the fuel pump, a leaking fuel pressure regulator, or most commonly, a leaking injector. To find a leaking regulator, looking in the vacuum hose is one thing to check, but it can just be leaking back to the tank. You can find that by using a hose pinch-off pliers to pinch closed the return hose. You have to remove the fuel rail with the injectors to watch them to see which ones are leaking.

You didn't say what the starting problem is or how you get the engine started, but if you're looking for the cause of low fuel pressure, I'm guessing you have a long crank time before the engine starts. If that is right, you can overcome that by pausing in the "run" position with the ignition switch before you turn it all the way to "crank", or you can turn it to "run", wait a few seconds, turn it back off, wait a little, then turn it back on and to "crank". That will give the fuel pump longer to build pressure.

Wednesday, January 8th, 2014 AT 11:46 AM
SATURNTECH9
Just be careful if the return line is plastic/vinyl do not pinch it off.
Wednesday, January 8th, 2014 AT 12:58 PM
Hi guys. This question was posted twice, and to avoid duplicates, my reply from the other one was moved here. I'll let all of you continue your conversation.
Wednesday, January 8th, 2014 AT 3:36 PM