Wiring problem

ROSSIAA
  • 1999 HONDA ACCORD
After replacing the climate control, clock and hazard light on my 99 accord, the hazard switch turns the ignition on (!), The instruments light never come on at all (only the odometer). The clock lights, but when I turn the key, the clock light and odometer go off. HELP!
Monday, November 22nd, 2010 AT 5:24 AM

KHLOW2008
Were the components replace of the correct type?
What was the reason for replacing the hazard switch?
Monday, November 22nd, 2010 AT 9:33 AM
ROSSIAA
I had to replace the climate control unit. The full item included the bezel panel, which also held the clock and hazard switch, The AC functions correctly with the new unit, but the new hazard switch turns the ignition on, and the hazards or directionals do not work, nor does the instrument panel light up (tach, speedometer, fuel, etc). The clock and odometer do, but turn off when I switch on the instrument lights.

I then replaced the new hazard with the old one. This restored the hazard and directionals, but the instrument panel does not light up, only the clock and odometer, which go out when I turn the instrument panel switch.

Item of interest (and frustration): the new hazard switch turns the ignition on with out the key, and also lights up the instrument panel.

The item I purchased was listed as compatible with 98, 99 00 Honda accord. I did notice slight size differences between new and old units.
Evidently, there are minor changes in dimensions and even in wiring for a given model year. What do you suggest as my next step?
Monday, November 22nd, 2010 AT 9:38 PM
KHLOW2008
You have the wrong replacement part for the vehicle. The wiring connector pins are diffrent between the two resulting in the wiring system going haywire.

Either you get the item replaced with the correct one or you would have to relocate the pins to get them to match the new unit, which would be possible only if you have a schematic of both control panels.
+1
Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010 AT 12:52 PM
ROSSIAA
Thanks for that info. It sounds like the correct analysis. I appreciate your help. Question: When I replace all the original parts, the instrument panel and CD/Radio lights still do not work. Is that an independent problem? (They light up using the new hazard switch, so I know they are not blown).

Since the AC unit functions correctly, would you say the wiring problem is in the hazard switch?

If I want to pursue relocating the pins for this switch, where can I obtain schematics?
Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010 AT 5:22 PM
KHLOW2008
This would be impossible unless you have the panel identification. Do you have anything such as part-no printed somewhere on the control panel?
Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010 AT 7:59 PM
ROSSIAA
I will remove the dash panel and check for part numbers.

When I replace all the original parts, the instrument panel and CD/Radio lights still do not work. Is that an independent problem? If so, what troubleshooting should I do?

(they all light up using the new hazard switch, so I know they are not blown).
Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010 AT 8:47 PM
KHLOW2008
Yes, the fault should lie with the hazard switch. What you have purchased should be a 2002 year model whih has a diffrent wiring circuit for the hazard switch.

I have checked through both wiring system and seems the only difference between the two is an extra defogger circuit on terminal # 4 of the control panel connector. This should not affect anything. I will check through again and see if I can come up with anything else.

Was the radio replaced?
Wednesday, November 24th, 2010 AT 1:15 PM
ROSSIAA
No, the radio was not replaced. Only the hazard switch, clock, and climate control.

I thought using my old hazard switch with the new climate control would work, but it did not. Since the lights do not work properly, even with all the original parts beck in place, could I have damaged the wiring when the new hazard switch was operated?

In any case, I spoke with the seller of the unit. He said he noticed there were two different styles of heater controls, and agreed to exchange the unit. Other than the external appearance (which is obvious)is there any other info I can give him which may help identify the "correct" unit?
Wednesday, November 24th, 2010 AT 6:26 PM
KHLOW2008
Sorry I cold not find any information as to identifications. If there is any visual difference, a diagram of the original unit should be sent to him for identification.

Apart from the Radio and dash illumination lights, are the following lights ( if applicable) working when the original hazard switch is used or not plugged?

1. A/T gear position light.
2. Driver seat heater switch light.
3. Passenger seat heater switch light.
4. Cruise control main switch light.
5. Moonroof switch light.
6. Heater control panel light.
Wednesday, November 24th, 2010 AT 6:53 PM
ROSSIAA
1. N/a (5 speed manual)
2. N/a
3. N/a
4. Cruise control light on the main switch does not light either way, but the green light near the tachometer lights up either way.
5. Sunroof switch light does not work either way.
6. Heater control panel led's above the rectangular buttons work either way. The buttons themselves, and the two round fan and temp ****s do not.
Friday, November 26th, 2010 AT 3:38 AM
ROSSIAA
Number 6 should read fan and temp "****s" do not. I don't know why those asterisks are there.
Friday, November 26th, 2010 AT 3:42 AM
KHLOW2008
Try spacing out the wording. Some text are mistaken by the computer as vulgar language so asterisks are used to replace them.

I seem a little lost at the moment. If the control panel is not plugged in, does the radio and CD works? Has the radio security code been inputted?

I would need some time to backtrack and see where I have missed out anything. Been down th weather as well.

Just hang on.
+1
Friday, November 26th, 2010 AT 12:18 PM
ROSSIAA
Sorry I was not clear enough. There is no problem with the radio CD. Don't need to input the security code because the radio/CD works whether the control panel(clock, hazard and heater/AC) is plugged in or not. In other words, the radio/CD works, but its lights do not come on.

Hope you're feeling better soon. Too much turkey?
Friday, November 26th, 2010 AT 5:58 PM
KHLOW2008
Thank you for the concern. Is feeling better now but still not 100%.

There is something that I missed out and I believe that is the cause of the problem.

All the items that are not working now are linked to the Driver's Multiplex Control Unit and the wrong hazard switch could have caused the unit to be damaged.

At the hazard switch, use a test lamp to back probe the Red wire and turn lights on. If all other lights turns on, the multiplex control unit is the cause.
Saturday, November 27th, 2010 AT 11:11 AM
ROSSIAA
OK will do. I'm not an expert, and need some help:
1. What kind of test lamp do I need?
2. What does "back probe" mean, and exactly how do I do it?
Saturday, November 27th, 2010 AT 8:14 PM
KHLOW2008
A test lamp with a normal 12V bulb would be desired as LED test lamps do not work in this instance due to the low current usage. It should be easily available at the parts stores.

Back-probe means using the tip of the test lamp to probe into the terminal from the wire end with the connector plugged into the component concerned. The other end of the test lamp should be grounded to body.
Sunday, November 28th, 2010 AT 2:25 AM
ROSSIAA
I tested the hazard switch as you directed. The 12v bulb lights up. With the ignition on and all lights off, the clock, CD, and Odometer come on. No dash lights. When I turn on the parking and headlights, the clock, odometer and CD/Radio lights go out, or come on extremely dimly. How can I correct this? If the multiplex center is damaged, is it repairable?
Thursday, December 9th, 2010 AT 12:43 AM
KHLOW2008
The Multiplex control Module is a non serviceable component but you can are electronbic savvy, you can give it a go.

When turning the headlghts on, the dimmer would go into action and this would dim the lights. In you case you do not have any lights so it would go dark.

Instead of the test lamp, use a fused wire to ground the RED wire. The headlight might have too little resistance for all other lights to work. Turn taillights on and note difference.

Instead of the test lamp.
Thursday, December 9th, 2010 AT 12:00 PM
ROSSIAA
I'll try the fused wire. What size fuse should I use? Are you suggesting if there is enough resistance in the wire, the dash lights will function properly?

I did notice that, if it's dark enough, when I turn the tail lights or headlights on, the radio/CD button lights come on very, very dimly. Is this info of any use/value?
Tuesday, December 21st, 2010 AT 9:44 PM
KHLOW2008
A 10 A fuse would be good. I meant the resistance in the test lamp. If you use a fused wire, the lights should turn on.

That is the dimmer circut which seems to be working. What you need to resolve is the illuminating lights.
Wednesday, December 22nd, 2010 AT 12:26 PM