Transmission slips

DOCFEELGOOD111
  • 1999 HONDA ACCORD
Started in just reverse. Reverse would slip then I would shift to neutral and back into reverse and it would work again for a few feet. Then the other day was out playing in the snow being hard on the car. Was on my way back home then some of the higher drive gears were slipping but would work in a lower gear fine. Could this be a shift solennoid? If so which one? Possibly the one that controls the clutches maybe?
Tuesday, March 1st, 2011 AT 4:30 AM

KHLOW2008
Is the fluid level correct?
Is the Check Engine Light indicating?
Have you tried to retrieve for trouble codes?
-1
Tuesday, March 1st, 2011 AT 3:25 PM
DOCFEELGOOD111
I've checked the engine codes the only one is for the o2 sensor. The fluid is at the correct level. However the fluid is not really red as it should be. Looks pretty clear looking.
Friday, March 4th, 2011 AT 3:59 AM
KHLOW2008
O2 code would not affect the transmisison. If the fluids are clear looking, either it is bad or not the recommended type.

Without any trouble codes, it should not be a solenoid problem. Most likely to be a pressure leakage somewhere or a fault with the valve body, which would require the trans to be disassembled to check.
Friday, March 4th, 2011 AT 12:48 PM
DOCFEELGOOD111
Update on my car. I changed the tranmission fluid which looked a lil clear at first. But after being hard on the transmission in the snow acutally turned a dark brown-black and had a burnt smell. I just drained the fluid and replaced it with some import transmission fluid and now my car is running fine. So if anyone else is having transmission problems try changing out your fluid in these cars as they seem to not like old fluid. Also when I pulled the drain plug it did have a small amout of metal shavings on the magnetic tip and burnt fluid. Works fine now in all gears. If I have any further problems I will leave an update. Thanks for everyones help.
Tuesday, March 22nd, 2011 AT 1:28 PM