1999 FORD TAURUS TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

• endlessdark6987
  • 1999 Ford Taurus
  • automatic

I have a 1999 Ford Taurus that has a 3 liter engine with auto Trans. I was driving to work on the interstate and the transmission just stop putting power to the wheels. It has not been slipping or hesitating while driving. It also has full fluid levels. The only gear that works is park. All forward and reverse gears do not work, the car just revs without moving. I also checked and there is no leaks. Please help.

Monday, January 13th, 2014 AT 12:58 PM

• caradiodoc

You need a live person to look at this. It could be as simple as the bolts came loose and fell out of the torque converter. A CV joint could have broken, although that is pretty uncommon, and you'd hear a grinding noise when you shifted back to "park". Most likely there's an internal problem in the transmission. Your mechanic will do some pressure tests to find out what is causing that.

A quick test of all the CV joints is to shift into "park", then try to move the car by hand. If you can move it more than few inches, inspect the joints and check if one of the inner joints is pulled out of the transmission. If it is, that's a relatively easy and inexpensive repair compared to rebuilding a transmission.

Monday, January 13th, 2014 AT 5:01 PM
  • endlessdark6987

I checked the CV shafts and they in proper place. I just checked with the car in park and it only move a few inches by hand. Thank you for your help.

Monday, January 13th, 2014 AT 5:11 PM