1999 Ford Ranger Sporadically will not start.

LLSHELTON
  • 1999 FORD RANGER
At times the truck will not start. When it has this problem there will be no fuel to the fuel rail, truck cranks but will not start. Often times if I let it sit for a few hours it will start back up without any problems, upon returning home checked the pressure and it was right in the middle of the "Normal" parameters. No check engine light on, passes smog without problems every time. At its worst it would not start all day long and then got a new fuel filter and started up without problems (done this twice, first time the gas that dripped out of the filter looked slightly dirty, second time it was clean). One of the times it wouldn't start the fuse in the #10 slot (in the cab) was blown, once it was replaced the truck started right up. It doesn't stall on me.
Thursday, March 20th, 2014 AT 12:49 AM

Check fuel pump relay for corrosion then get it scanned may be a module bad.
Thursday, March 20th, 2014 AT 7:05 AM
LLSHELTON
Get the fuel pump relay scanned? Do you know where I can find it :-)
Friday, March 21st, 2014 AT 11:28 AM
LLSHELTON
I'm thinking that this is in the black box under the hood, but want to make sure that I am thinking about the right thing :-)
Friday, March 21st, 2014 AT 11:38 AM
No you check the fuel pump relay for corrosion it s in the underhood fuse box. Then you get it scanned-meaning they hook a scanner to your truck and see if your fuel pump module has left any codes and or check it to make sure it is working ok.
Friday, March 21st, 2014 AT 12:00 PM
LLSHELTON
There is no corrosion at all and the truck has been scanned with a code reader over a dozen times. When the fuel pump's pressure is tested it comes back normal every way it can be tested, so far having it worked on is worthless. It gets checked and I get told it has a dirty fuel filter, then two days later when it has the same problem I get told again that it's just due to a dirty fuel filter. Are there any other fuel pump related fuses/relays, etc that could cause the fuel pump to randomly fail? So far every other problem this truck has had was either electrical or a fuse problem that "Confused" the computer. Thanks for the idea, welcome to any other ideas.
Saturday, March 22nd, 2014 AT 11:35 PM
There aer only two thing on here I can think of one would be the pump is getting hot and not working, thus no fuel or there is an anti theft problem. Try resetting it see if it works otherwise a pro will need to scan the security system to see if there is something wrong with that. Or maybe aloose connection/ground. If you don't have amanual look online on how to reset your system
Sunday, March 23rd, 2014 AT 8:45 AM