SO I REPLACED MY STARTER IT IS BRAND NEW I KNOW...

1999 Ford Ranger

4.7 grand

December, 16, 2012 AT 1:36 AM

So I replaced my starter it is brand new I know it is not this but when I turn my key all the lights come on on the cluster but when turn the key nothing the truck wont start I had to put a push button on the truck till I can fix it and the push button works every time no problem idk if it is the starter switch or the the key part it self

December, 16, 2012 AT 1:45 AM

Possible ignition switch or neutral saftey switch

freemba

December, 16, 2012 AT 2:21 AM

Unplug the RED LT/BLU wire on the strter solenoid, connect a test light to that wire and try starting the engine with the ignition switch. The testlight should come on (if the ignition switch is working properly).

Secondly, you should quickly jumper the unplugged terminal on the solenoid (the one where the RED LT/BLU wire was connected) with the terminal where the battery cable connects to the solenoid (this simulates turning the ignition switch to the ON position); the starter should operate as long as the jumper is in place.

If the starter works when you lumer it, but not when you turn the key; replace the solenoid.

Starter Replacement
Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Battery Replacement