Truck wont start just make's clicken noise?

MECHANIX
  • 1999 FORD F-150
When I go to crank engine it just make's a clickin noise so I thought it was the starter so I changed it then went to start it made same clickin noise so I changed the silenoid the 1 by the battery same noise again then 1 morning I tried starting the truck it started so I went for a spin when I shut it off then went to start again it made same noise. So could it be my ignition coil pack's need changing or is it something entirely different.
Monday, October 17th, 2011 AT 8:19 PM

DAN_K
How's the condition of the battery? If it's determined to be OK after a load test, I would check all of the starting and charging system connections for corrosion and/or high resistance. Voltage drop tests are the best way to determine this, but sometimes a visual inspection is all it takes. Look for corrosion on the cable ends at the battery, starter and alternator. Don't forget to check your ground cables.
Monday, October 17th, 2011 AT 8:53 PM
COILS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH STARTING (TURNING THE ENGINE OVER)

THIS IS SORTA GENERIC, ALL OF THIS IS GONNA DEPEND ON THE BATTERY'S CHARGED CONDITION.

OR WHETHER IT IT IS CAPABLE OF BEING CHARGED OR CAN BE JUMPED FROM ANOTHER VEHICLE.

NOW, ONCE WE GET CRANKED WITH A GOOD BATTERY, YOU MAY WANNA TAKE IT TO A POPULAR PARTS STORE AND HAVE THE CHARGING SYSTEM CHECKED. THIS MAY TELL YOU "WHY" THE BATTERY WENT DEAD IN THE 1ST PLACE.

IF YOUR GAUGES WENT WILD AND CRAZY FOR SOME REASON, AND REMAIN THAT WAY. SEE THIS OTHER POST I ANSWERED.

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2003-ford-escape-turn-car-on-speedometer-tachometer-peg-return-normal-starting

HERE'S THE MEAT AND POTATOES OF MY ANSWER!

YOU COULD HAVE FAULTY RELAYS OR FUSES.....SAVE RELAYS FOR LAST! (IF ANY)

CHECK YOUR FUSES!!!---YOUR OWNERS MANUAL MAY SHOW YOU LOCATIONS THAT YOU KNEW NOTHING ABOUT!

REMOVE AND REPLACE "SUSPECT" FUSES SEVERAL TIMES--THIS MAY SCRAPE OFF CORROSION AND GIVE THEM BETTER CONTACT!

THIS WILL WORK FOR YOU, PROVIDED THAT YOUR BATTERY IS GOOD---OR YOU CAN BE JUMPED OFF!!!

REMEMBER "NEW STUFF" CAN BE BAD TOO!

YOUR STARTER MAY BE BAD!

YOUR SOLENOID MAY BE BAD!

Try the stuff below (actions),

IN MOST CASES THIS IS THE PROBLEM!

PEOPLE GET LAZY!----THEY DO NOT ACTUALLY DO THIS STUFF

IT BITES 'EM IN THE BUTT...THEY COULDA BEEN RIDING LONG AGO!

TAKE STUFF LOOSECLEAN"SCOOCH" THE CONNECTORS AROUND----TIGHTEN THE NUTS OR BOLTS WELL!!!! DO NOT JUST PASS OFF ANY BIG CABLE CONNECTION AS, "IT LOOKS GOOD".

PAY SPECIAL ATTENTION TO THE BATTERY POSTS---CLAMPS---CABLE CONNECTIONS TO THE CLAMP (I'M TALKING ABOUT THE OLD STYLE "SQUEEZER" DEALEES, CLAMP TO CABLE)

IF YOU HAVE SIDE POST TERMINALS---TURN THE RUBBER INSIDE OUT/ REMOVE THE BOLT/ SCRUB THE FLAT CONNECTOR WITH A WIRE BRUSH OR SCRAPE IT WITH A KNIFE, TILL IT'S CLEAN---SAME FOR ITS MATING SURFACE ON THE BATTERY!

MANY TIMES THERE AIN'T MUCH SLACK IN THE CABLE----NO WHINING!!!---YOU GOTTA GET IT CLEAN, ESPECIALLY IF YOU CAN SEE "GREEN CRAP" CAKED ON 'EM!

YEAH, IT'S NOT EZ TO GET IN THERE, BUT LOOK AT WHAT YOU WILL GO THRU IF YOU DON'T!

THIS IS WAR--YOU GOTTA CHECK IT ALL--ANY CONNECTION---POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE THAT A BIG CABLE BOLTS TO....GET YOUR HANDS DIRTY!

IF A CABLE GOES TO A BOX--IT GOES ON THRU IT---CLEAN CONNECTIONS COMING AND GOING---TO WHERE EVER THEY GO!

EVENTUALLY YOU WILL REACH THE STARTER CONNECTION (POS)AND THE ENGINE/ BODY (NEG)

DON'T TELL THE SHOP, AS YOU GIVE 'EM YOUR $$$---WHILE WHINING---"I WAS TOLD TO CLEAN THAT CONNECTION, AND I DIDN'T!!!"

AS YOU PROGRESS, TRY TO CRANK HIM UP---YOU MAY FIND EXACTLY WHICH CONNECTION WAS THE PROBLEM!

I'VE SEEN THIS SAME CATASTROPHE, MANY MANY TIMES (I SAW IT YESTERDAY, AS I WAS ABOUT TO "CAR DOLLY" A FRIEND, THEN I DID THE CHECKS, IT WAS THE SIDE POSTS ON THE BATTERY CONNECTIONS).......AND IT'S SO SIMPLE TO FIX!..........SAD THING, WHEN I GOT THERE, NOTHING HAD BEEN DONE 'CEPT AN ATTEMPTED JUMP START....I WAS GONNA HAVE TO PULL HIM 40 MILES, HE WASTED 3 HOURS OF MY TIME. LAZY, LAZY, LAZY

YOU COULD BE RUNNING BEFORE YOUR "CALVARY" ARRIVES!

RETURN WITH GOOD NEWS!

XNOSTART

Monday, October 17th, 2011 AT 10:38 PM
MECHANIX
Thx for the info on the the truck I cleaned everthing to with the starter and battery my truck is workin fine now again the for that tip CJ MEDEVAC
Wednesday, October 19th, 2011 AT 11:45 PM
SITES BEEN DOWN A WHILE

WAS IT MOSTLY A MOTIVATIONAL THING, THAT GOT YOU CHECKING THINGS MORE INTENSELY?

GLAD YOU ARE GOING AGAIN!

THANKS FOR COMING HERE, SEND YOUR FRIENDS. NO NEED TO TEAR YOURS UP AGAIN JUST TO SEE US!

Wednesday, October 26th, 2011 AT 1:34 AM
MECHANIX
Well to tell you the truth I like workin on cars it's 1 of my passion's to fix cars or trucks keeps me busy allday and thx for your help medic
Wednesday, October 26th, 2011 AT 2:38 PM