1999 Ford F-150 Speedometer showing > double actual speed.

KENJIAC
  • 1999 FORD F-150
So yesterday was the first snow in the area driving to work I go up an alley to the parking garage. It's a single lane uphill. Someone was backing out of their driveway and I had to stop on the incline. It was icy and when I tried to start moving my tires were just spinning from lack of traction. I'm very slowly creeping up the incline another car behind me is waiting. So i'm like I can't get my truck moving let me switch on the 4 wheel drive. I let off the gas turn on the 4wd and press on the gas again. The 4wd is a little hesitant to kick on but it did and I get moving. The engine is seemly off slightly no at the appropriate rpm and my speedometer is showing me going like 30-40 mph when i'm creeping like 10mph. I pull right into the garage and park and think huh that's kinda weird. After work I go out to the garage and speed it still showing really high on my way out the garage. The garage exit right onto the highway ramp and I try to get going but the engine stutters and the speedometer is pinned. I'm doing around 40ish mph per my gps. I think this is the engine governor. So I get off the highway and limp the truck home. From what I've been reading I think it may be a speed sensor. Can someone confirm or give me some other ideas.
Wednesday, November 27th, 2013 AT 4:24 PM

Scan for codes first it may not be. Auto parts do for free also check fuel pressure with a gauge
Wednesday, November 27th, 2013 AT 4:40 PM
KENJIAC
So I went and checked the codes. No codes came up. I picked up a vehicle speed sensor since it was only $20. About to go do the replacement. You mentioned fuel pressure. I do have a small hole in my gas tank that I plan on fixing soon. Can't get more the half a tank or it leaks. Could these problem be related? The way the truck is driving I wouldn't think one has to do with the other as the fuel tank leak I've had for a good month without any issues besides not being able to fill up. Tried the jb weld gas tank repair puddy and it didn't hold. Gonna replace the entire tank soon. Any other leads in case the repair doesn't work? Keeping my fingers crossed it's this sensor.
Sunday, December 1st, 2013 AT 9:40 AM
It cold be a wiring issue as well like not making good contact at sensor or trans harness. The fuel leak doesnt' help. You can always get the etank soldered at a radiator repair shop if not to big a hole. It may be a bad dash as well. But you need a pro scanner for that.
Sunday, December 1st, 2013 AT 9:44 AM

Sponsored links