1999 FORD EXPLORER CHECK ENGINE LIGHT OIL PRESSURE

• 2CarPros-Archives
  • 1999 Ford Explorer
  • automatic

1999 Ford Explorer mileage: 10,505. I have started to notice that when I start my Explorer up in the morning, my oil pressure gauge does not move and my "Check gauge" light comes on due to this. After I get going down the road for about a minute, the oil pressure gauge goes completely normal within a second and my "Check gauge" light goes off. It did not do this in normal weather this started happening when we got freezing temperatures. The car runs fine at all times even when the light is on. I have had the oil changed recently and it is still doing this. It only seems to happen when I leave it sitting for more than 8 hours. If I drive it to work and then get in it at lunch, the oil gauge reads normally. What should I do?

Friday, February 25th, 2011 AT 10:58 PM

• 2CarPros-Archives

A faulty oil pressure sending unit may be the cause of the problems you are experiencing.

Friday, February 25th, 2011 AT 11:00 PM
  • mhpautos

I would be getting the oil pressure tested cold with a mechanical gauge, if the readings are correct I would then be replacing the sender unit.

Friday, February 25th, 2011 AT 11:08 PM