1999 Ford Expedition windows/battery goes bad quick

JESUSCHAIRES
  • 1999 FORD EXPEDITION
Hi my 1999 expedition has gone through at least 3 new batteries in one month. Also I can put my windows down without the key being put forward or backwards. Then my dashboard light do not work. What could be the problem?
Tuesday, October 29th, 2013 AT 9:09 PM

Need a lot more detail than that on the battery problem. How did they fail? Did they just go dead in a few days? Have you tested the charging system? What were you told when you returned the batteries? What was the symptom or problem?

If your windows will operate with the ignition switch turned off, there is likely a related drain on the battery which will cause it to run down. You don't replace the battery for that. You use a battery charger to recharge it.

The dash light problem could be nothing more than a blown fuse. They often blow from the surge when reconnecting the battery.
Tuesday, October 29th, 2013 AT 9:21 PM
JESUSCHAIRES
I do have a audio system in the truck but the batterys are new and only last 2 weeks and I go every time to exchange it and the people at autozone tell me something is draining my battery but I dont know what it is. They always tell me that the battery is bad when I go. The truck also has a new alternator and a new starter.
Tuesday, October 29th, 2013 AT 9:29 PM
What happens after two weeks? Does the battery fail to crank the engine? Is it totally dead? To be properly tested at the auto parts store, it has to be slowly charged, then tested under load to see how much current it can deliver while maintaining a specified voltage.

The place to start is by testing the charging system. The first part you can do yourself with a digital voltmeter at the battery. It will read 12.6 volts if the battery is fully-charged. If you find it's around 12.2 volts, the battery is okay but it's discharged. If it's around 11 volts or less, it has a shorted cell. That would not be common on a newer battery.

Next, measure the battery voltage again while the engine is running. It must be between 13.75 and 14.75 volts. If that is okay, the rest of the tests must be done with a professional load tester to see how much current the generator can deliver. If it has one bad internal diode of the six, you will only get exactly one third of its rated output, and that's not enough to meet the demands of the electrical system under all conditions. The battery will have to make up the difference until it runs down. That could take from a couple of days to a month or more, depending on how much you use the heater fan, light, wipers, etc. Besides the low output current, "ripple" voltage will be very high when the generator has one bad diode.

I have to go out of town for a day. I'll check back tomorrow night to see if you had the load test performed and what the results were.
Tuesday, October 29th, 2013 AT 9:52 PM