1999 Dodge Ram truck pair

JON555
  • 1999 DODGE RAM
Wont stay running when I turn the key it will run for a few second and then it chokes out
Wednesday, April 16th, 2014 AT 3:59 PM

Need a lot more detail than that. Was the battery recently disconnected or run dead? Will the engine stay running if you hold the accelerator pedal down 1/4"? Have you checked for diagnostic fault codes?
Wednesday, April 16th, 2014 AT 4:12 PM
JON555
Yesterday when I was making a couple of runs it started up fine and run ok then I went to my second run and it run ok then when I got back in it to start it it started fine then got down the road a couple of miles then started o act up with the weld area is in front of the cadilact convertor it started to lose the fumes and I waonly going 10 miles in hour to get it home and when I did get it home I shut it off for a few then tried to start it back up and it would only run for a few seconds and stull out like it is choking itself out
+1
Wednesday, April 16th, 2014 AT 4:19 PM
Dandy. That rules out loss of computer memory and anti-theft system problems. The place to start is by reading the fault codes. Chrysler makes it real east to do yourself. Cycle the ignition switch from "off" to "run" three times within five seconds, leave it in "run", then watch the numbers show up in the odometer display.

Go here to see the code definitions:

http://www.2carpros.com/trouble_codes/obd2/P0100

The main suspect is probably the MAP sensor, but if its signal voltage has gone out of the acceptable range, there will be a fault code related to it.
Wednesday, April 16th, 2014 AT 4:34 PM
JON555
Yes to all but when I am not pushing the gas pedal it will just crank and sound like it does want to start but dont then when I hold the gas pedal all the way to the floor it will run for a few seconds then shut off. I know I need a 02 censer bt it ran fine until yesterday and today
Wednesday, April 16th, 2014 AT 4:36 PM
Sorry to have overlooked your reply. Did you figure it out? Have you read the fault codes?
Friday, August 1st, 2014 AT 9:16 PM