1999 Dodge Neon

DD83
  • 1999 DODGE NEON
I am having some issues with this car. It is over heating, water coming out of tailpipe. Leaking oil alot, and dies sometimes while driving or stopping. What would be my best bet? Should I fix all the problems or buy a nother motor. Found one for $350.00 less than 100,000 miles. My mechanic is free dont charge for labor just parts. Is this too hard to fix or would the new motor be easier and cheaper?
Wednesday, January 19th, 2011 AT 3:41 PM

MMPRINCE4000
Depends on what is wrong with old motor, if bearing or head you would be better off replacing.

Water out tailpipe is normal, the convertor catalyst converts exhaust gases to H2O and CO2.
Wednesday, January 19th, 2011 AT 3:56 PM
FIXITMR
That's what we need more of. Free GOOD mechanics! If your losing antifreeze you may have bad intake or head gasket or just a plain old leak somehwere like a cracked hose. Have you considered changing thermostat?And some oil leaks are easy to fix, like an oil sender leaking. Engine swap may lead to other complications?
Wednesday, January 19th, 2011 AT 4:27 PM
DD83
It is loosing water as I drive it. Someone said it probly head gasket cuz the water is bypassing and going straight out the pipe theres a lot of water on the ground when its idling and it smells like antifreeze. I have flushed the radiador many times it seems to help for a few days then gets hot again. I have put the gasket stop leak in it many times but looses water to faast to make it work. The last time I did that was a few days ago, since then it gets hot right away, with heater blowing and everything.
Wednesday, January 19th, 2011 AT 4:46 PM
FIXITMR
If head gasket is bad then at least 1 cylinder is burning water which should mean that cylinder is washed clean. Should look like new inside as opposed to carboned up. Of course there may be other possible ways for water to enter combustion besides head gasket like intake gasket or some other water jacketed/cooled part. Generally bad head gaskets that are allowing water to drip from tailpipe also make the car run rough. You can remove plugs 1 at a time and run engine and watch what comes out of plug hole. The 1 leaking the water will shoot it out.
Thursday, January 20th, 2011 AT 3:46 AM
MMPRINCE4000
You said WATER out tailpipe. If it is white smoke that does not dissapate, then it is coolant, and can be headgasket or intake gasket.
Sunday, January 23rd, 2011 AT 2:28 PM