HOW DO YOU REPLACE THE HEAT AND AIR BLEND DOOR ON A 1999 DODGE CARAVAN?

• joebak
  • 1999 Dodge Caravan

The air blows cold (very little warm air) when car is at normal operating temp. It seems the colder it is outside the cooler the air is coming from vents. When it is 70 degrees outside it might blow 110 degrees but when it is 45 degrees it blows 77 degree air. The temp. Control lever does work somewhat, meaning if I move it from hot to cold the air does blow cooler. The coolant is full, the thermostat does work, both hoses to and from the heater core are hot, one more so than the other. Which leads me to think (rightly or wrongly) it is the blend door not operating properly. Thanks for your help.

Tuesday, November 29th, 2011 AT 5:43 PM

• fixitmr

Backflushing the core is worth a try.

-2
Tuesday, November 29th, 2011 AT 6:36 PM
  • fixitmr

Blend doors also can get jammed by a piece of something getting stuck in opening. Or the controls arn't working right. Or door itself is damaged.

-1
Tuesday, November 29th, 2011 AT 8:16 PM
  • joebak

Come on guys, I asked a how to question. "How do you replace the blend door on a 1999 caravan?" Your answer said "blend doors also can get jammed, or the controls aren't working or jammed"
I explained in my question I already knew that. Please either answer the question I asked or refund my money.

Thank you,

Joe Bak

P.S. I already back flushed the heater core.

-1
Thursday, December 1st, 2011 AT 3:50 PM
  • fixitmr

The HVAC control module stores trouble codes that a proper reader can retrieve. The system is electronic and the blend door actuator has a specific procedure to calibrate it. The actuator is under drivers side.

1. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
2. Remove the silencer panel from under the driver s side of the instrument panel.
3. Remove the ABS control module.
4. Disconnect the electrical connector from the blend door actuator being serviced.
5. Remove the actuator mounting screws and the actuator.

After it's fixed you might want to recalibrate it. Or you can try recalibrating to see if it begins working first.

CALIBRATION/DIAGNOSTICS TEST ENTRY
TO INITIATE TESTS:
Set Blower motor ON HIGH
Set Mode position to Panel
Open all A/C outlets
Set Temperature to Cold (Both slide pots if equipped)
Depress WASH and REAR WIPER button simultaneously for 5 Seconds (Until all LED's light)
RESULTS:
All LED's will turn on for 5 Seconds
Calibration Test is running when REAR WIPER and INTERMITTENT are alternately flashing. Cooldown test is running if A/C and RECIRC are alternately flashing.
Acceptable results is REAR WIPER LED is the only LED flashing. Push Rear Wiper to exit.

+1
Saturday, December 3rd, 2011 AT 8:08 AM
  • fixitmr

Ps. When you remove actuator you can manually check out operation of blend door and see if heat improves.

+1
Saturday, December 3rd, 2011 AT 8:10 AM
  • joebak

I have pulled most of the dash apart and cannot find the actuator, I guess I don't know what I am looking for, can you help. I don't have access to a component locator. Thanks

Thursday, December 8th, 2011 AT 4:20 AM
  • fixitmr

Up overtop your gas pedal is the area to locate it.

Friday, December 9th, 2011 AT 8:43 PM