Brakes

ANDREW RIVERA
  • 1999 DODGE CARAVAN
This morning I was driving and I noticed that my tire was smoking I get out the van and notice that my rotor from the driver side is extremly hot and the one from the passenger side is a little hot but not as much as the other one. I got home take off the calipers nd notice that my rotor on the driver side is red not hot red hot but like dusty red like it over heated but the other one is ok I changed the calipers brakes and rotors from both sides and stil the same thing the driver side gets too too hot and the passenger side is normal like if the caliper from the drivers side still is stuck what can be the problem
Thursday, July 7th, 2011 AT 7:13 PM

Check the brake hose if its collasped internally acting as a one way check valve
Thursday, July 7th, 2011 AT 7:20 PM
WRENCHTECH
Ras is right but it's pretty hard to tell if it is collapsed. I would just replace both front hoses.
Thursday, July 7th, 2011 AT 7:33 PM
Hi andrew rivera. Excuse me for butting in. Both guys are right, but there may be an easier and faster fix. The clue to the constricted hose is the brake pedal will be higher and harder than normal. Also, if you shift to neutral, you should be able to push the van by hand on a flat surface or it should creep downhill on its own. If you're on a slight incline, (not a steep hill because we don't want to read that you had to chase after your van!), Put a block a few inches downhill from a tire, then reach behind the wheel and open the bleeder screw. If the brake releases, suspect that hose. You can also loosen the steel line momentarily at the master cylinder to double-check and most likely the brake will not release from there. Sorry I can't tell you which line to loosen. I never got to that point.

The front hose has a metal bracket crimped around the middle of it. Rust builds up inside that crimp and squeezes the hose. You can force brake fluid past the restriction, but the fluid can't release back to the reservoir so it holds that brake applied. The real quick and permanent fix is to use a large pliers to open that crimp up a little.

We used to learn about hoses tearing inside and acting like one-way check valves, but in doing brake work every week for over 25 years, I never once saw that actually happen, ... Until it happened to a Voyager I own. That vehicle sat for a long time until I needed it for my students to practice on. It developed that high and hard pedal and the right front brake would not release. The kids found the problem to be the hose and there were no outward signs of rust on the bracket, but opening the crimp just a fuzz solved the problem. Two weeks later a student in another program had the same thing happen on his Neon. Never saw that in all those years, then had two in two weeks. Since then I've been hearing about this happening quite a bit. It's common on the rear of many Chrysler products too.
Thursday, July 7th, 2011 AT 8:53 PM
ANDREW RIVERA
Ok thanks guys I really appriciate your help im goin to replace the brake hoses and follow ur instructionsin then try it again to see what happens ill give you feedback on wats goin on
Friday, July 8th, 2011 AT 7:20 PM