1999 Chrysler Cirrus Starting problems

LORI BRO
  • 1999 CHRYSLER CIRRUS
I have replaced the fuel pump in the distributor in my car cranks but still won't start any other ideas?
Monday, December 14th, 2015 AT 10:13 PM

First of all, when you have an engine running problem, please tell me which engine you have. Second, what tests led you to the fuel pump? Have you checked for spark? Have you read the diagnostic fault codes? Only Chrysler makes that real easy to do yourself. Do you know how to do that?

The fuel pump is not in the distributor. It's in the gas tank. What exactly did you replace?
+1
Monday, December 14th, 2015 AT 10:26 PM
LORI BRO
Spark plugs distributor and cap fuel pump Have all been replaced in the car and it still just cranks but no start?
No error codes
+1
Monday, December 14th, 2015 AT 10:31 PM
LORI BRO
2.5 v6
Monday, December 14th, 2015 AT 10:40 PM
Please tell me which engine you have. Five different engines were available and they are very different. What tests led you to the fuel pump? Have you checked for spark? Have you read the diagnostic fault codes? Only Chrysler makes that real easy to do yourself. Do you know how to do that?
Monday, December 14th, 2015 AT 10:49 PM
LORI BRO
2.5 V6

The fuel pump was changed thinking that would fix the problem just assumed

When checked for code error none were present.

Yes there is spark
Monday, December 14th, 2015 AT 11:00 PM
The first thing you need to do is check for spark. About four percent of no-starts are caused by fuel pump problems. One percent are caused by something with the ignition system. 95 percent of no-starts are caused by both systems being dead due to a common cause. Reading the diagnostic fault codes is the place to start because that might tell you which circuit needs to be diagnosed.

Cycle the ignition switch from "off" to "run" three times within five seconds, leave it in "run", then watch the code numbers appear in the odometer display.
Monday, December 14th, 2015 AT 11:02 PM
LORI BRO
Tried that no code numbers :(
Will test spark plus when I have another hand just trying to fix myself and can't afford a shop to fix it
Monday, December 14th, 2015 AT 11:10 PM
I'm surprised you have spark, but that would explain why there's no fault codes. The fuel supply system is not monitored by the Engine Computer. Look in the under-hood fuse box for the fuel pump relay. Feel if that is clicking on, then off after one second, when a helper turns the ignition switch on. Or, listen for the hum of the fuel pump, again, for just one second after turning on the ignition switch. If there's no evidence of the pump running for that one-second burst, that's the circuit we'll have to diagnose.
-1
Monday, December 14th, 2015 AT 11:39 PM