Will not start

OPP36467
  • 1999 CHEVROLET VENTURE
Fuel pump went out so I replaced it and fuel filter and it cranked right up, then quit the same day. I have fuel to the rail and spark at the plugs. But will not crank. I check all fuses and relays. I can only assume it is computer or a sensor. It wants to start but will not. What do I need to do now.
Tuesday, September 27th, 2011 AT 3:39 PM

ASEMASTER6371
First of all, you said it wont crank? Like a bad starter?

If it does crank, then, did you change the connector at the body harness to the pump? Common failure and if you dont change it, this is the condition that may result.

You can verify by checking for power to the wire for the pump.

Do not jump to any conclusions about sensors or computers. Look for basics.

Tuesday, September 27th, 2011 AT 3:48 PM
DOCFIXIT
Check fuel pressure 60-66 psi was replacement pump AC/Delco type?
Tuesday, September 27th, 2011 AT 3:49 PM
OPP36467
Have good fuel pressure, replaced the connections with the new ones that came with pump, I am getting fuel to the rail. And I have spark to the plugs. All fuses and relays pulled and checked and replaced. It sounds like it wants to start it just want. After replaceing the fuel pump, we drove it around town for a day. Then after parking it, it would not restart. After it quit again. I replaced the fuel filter, did a pressure test on it. Replaced the relays, and checked the fuses, after putting the pump on I did have a blown fuel pump fuse, but replaced and it cranked right up, drove it maybe 20 miles and it would not start back up. This is driving me crazy.
Tuesday, September 27th, 2011 AT 3:58 PM
ASEMASTER6371
If the fuse blew after you replaced the pump, checked your wire repairs for any bare wires or possible pinching of the harness at the top of the tank. Fuses blow for a reason and you need to address that now.

Tuesday, September 27th, 2011 AT 4:04 PM
CADIEMAN
Recheck the fuel pump fuse. Is the pump pressure in specs 60 to66 you just cant push the valve on the rail and see fuel.
Tuesday, September 27th, 2011 AT 4:18 PM