CANT FIGURE OUT WHY TRUCK SHUTS OFF IMMEDIATELY

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe

nathansingletary

September, 20, 2012 AT 11:20 PM

Ive changed my fuel pump and filter. When I crank truck it will crank and run for about a second and shuts off. I have not check engine light on. When it cranks it sounds normal, no jerking or spudering. Doesnt sound like its misfiring.

DrCranknWrench

September, 20, 2012 AT 11:51 PM

You may have a short or some melted wires. Also you should check battery cables for clean metal to metal corrosion free fit.
I am giving you some diagnostic walk throughs to get you started and they are very helpful. Advance Auto or Auto Zone will test just about anything, pull codes for free and loan you test and specialty tools. Just use the links below;

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-stalls

nathansingletary

September, 21, 2012 AT 12:36 AM

I dont have a check engine light on. Can I pull codes with out light on? My battery died and the truck sat for 3 weeks before I got a new one once I replaced it has not ran since. I had no problems before that. My battery went died because I left my lights on and it was an old battery. If wires were melted which ones or were should I start looking? Also someone told mee it could be my crankshaft position sensor. If so would check engine light come on? Or if distributor was bad?

DrCranknWrench

September, 21, 2012 AT 4:08 AM

You can have a trouble code without the "Check Engine Light" coming on.
You may not have melted wires but if you do you will be looking in the starting and charging circuit. I am attaching wiring diagrams.
It could be a bad position snesor. I believe that gets talked about in the diagnostic walk through.

September, 21, 2012 AT 6:04 AM

When battery died, it is equivalent to disconnecting the power source and that would result in computer losing memory. This would result in idling and performance issues. Try feathering the gas pedal to see if the engine continues running.

nathansingletary

September, 21, 2012 AT 11:15 AM

Feathering the gas is not an option to keep it idling it won't stay run longer than a second. If I do pat the gas it shuts off quicker. When I pat the gas it will only crank and not run for a second.

September, 21, 2012 AT 2:30 PM

That means it is not an idling issue.
More like an MAF problem.
Check to see if there are any trouble codes stored.