99 Suburban sometimes won't crank

PMELEGANCE
  • 1999 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
  • 120 MILES
My 99 Suburban every so often won't crank. Motor turns over fine, fuel pump starts up. If I leave it for a couple hours it fires right up. What does this sound like?
Thursday, August 11th, 2011 AT 9:40 PM

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Next time it refuses to start don't wait for it to make up its mind-do below immediately to determine if its fuel or spark problem

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs,coil's resistances,cap and rotor,distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing
Friday, August 12th, 2011 AT 12:05 AM
SATURNTECH9
When it doesn't start you have to see what it doesnt have spark proper fuel pressure etc. Have you checked for codes if not please do so and let me know the exact codes numbers you have.
Friday, August 12th, 2011 AT 12:07 AM
Whenh the problem occurs, if it cranks good but won't start, have a helper crank it, while you check for spark at the plugs, if you have spark everywhere, use a gage and check fuel pressure. How long since a tune-up? Any applicable trouble codes? Also, check for injector pulse.
Friday, August 12th, 2011 AT 12:09 AM
Good gosh, I'm late again.
Friday, August 12th, 2011 AT 12:11 AM