Chevy Malibu

RLOPEZJR75
  • 1999 CHEVROLET MALIBU
I have a 1999 chevy malibu and my mechanic said that I have antifreeze in the motor oil. Can this be fixed? He said I might need a new motor
Tuesday, April 19th, 2011 AT 2:12 AM

PROTECH1980
You probaly have a bad intake gasket, How long has this been going on? When that Dex-cool gets in the oil, its almost like sandpaper on your internal bearings, If you catch it in a reasonable amount of time, then repair of the leak is usaully ok, every one that owns a GM vehicle with the 3.1 or 3.4 has had to do intake gaskets on them, its only a matter of time, alot of times the coolant will get low, overheat, then your dealing with cracked heads or head gaskets, maybe your mechanic is thinking along those lines (head/ or head gaskets, or internal bearing damage from prolonged coolant in oil), then you could justfiy a new or used engine, but anyway first determine where the leak is coming from, usaully with a pressure tester you can put your ear to the oil fill tube on the valve cover and hear hissing internally if the intake gasket is bad and is leaking inside, but if the car has overheated(even once) have the coolant system tested for combustion gases, to find out if the head gaskets/heads are bad.
Tuesday, April 19th, 2011 AT 2:27 AM
That is typical of a leaking head gasket. That is a fairly common repair, but it can't wait. Antifreeze will melt the soft metal outer layer of engine bearings. That will turn an expensive repair into a really expensive repair.
Tuesday, April 19th, 2011 AT 2:28 AM
PROTECH1980
Hey Doc.
Tuesday, April 19th, 2011 AT 2:37 AM