I NEED TO REPLACE THE DRIVERS SIDE FRONT WHEEL ...

1999 Chevrolet Lumina

db62

October, 29, 2012 AT 5:04 PM

I need to replace the driver's side front wheel bearing assembly. After disconnecting the connector to the ABS sensor, do I also 'have to' unbolt it from the hub/wheel bearing assembly in order to remove the entire wheel bearing from the car. Or will it come out with it after just removing the 4 bearing mounting bolts? The sensor is mounted with 2 small fasteners that get threaded into wheel assembly itself and I cannot tell if they pass thru the knuckle/strut assembly, in which case I would have to remove them? They are badly corroded and it would be much simpler if I can remove/replace the entire assembly on the bench before reinstalling the new bearing assembly. (FYI - The wheel bearing assembly is held in with 4 bolts, not 3 and the flange has 2 tapped holes for the sensor).

Thank you in advance for your help!
DB

Front Wheel Bearing

caradiodoc

October, 29, 2012 AT 5:59 PM

The sensor comes out with the bearing assembly. You don't have to remove the sensor first.

Wheel Bearing Replacement
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement - Rear
Front Brake Pads & Rotor Replacement Chevy
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Acura TL
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front