Heater/ temp gauge

KICKYBUSH@YAHOO.COM
  • 1999 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
Heater not blowing any heat, and dash temp gauge not working
Wednesday, March 9th, 2011 AT 8:33 PM

WRENCHTECH
With the engine at full operating temp, locate the 2 heater hoses where they go into the firewall and feel them to see if they are both hot to the touch. If not too hot to hold, then you have to look at the actual engine temp and if that is up, if it is, then your looking at a restricted heater core.
If you find that they are both too hot to hold, then the heat in that vehicle is controlled by a blend door that regulates heated air flow. It is operated by an electric motor/actuator. The problem can be that the actuator is stripped or inoperative or the door itself could be damaged. This is what needs to be determined by examining the actuator and see if it is responding to heat change commands or not.
If they are both not too hot to hold on to, then you either have a restricted heater core or the system is not completely full and getting air pockets for some reason.
Wednesday, March 9th, 2011 AT 9:07 PM
KICKYBUSH@YAHOO.COM
Iv both lines, they are not either, the climate changer works luke warm to cold, vise versa, and the temp gauge is still not workin, it dose not move from the cold line
Wednesday, March 9th, 2011 AT 10:11 PM
KICKYBUSH@YAHOO.COM
Could it be a thermastat
Wednesday, March 9th, 2011 AT 10:13 PM
WRENCHTECH
I don't understand any of that. Are the hoses hot or not?
Wednesday, March 9th, 2011 AT 10:29 PM
KICKYBUSH@YAHOO.COM
No the hoses are not hot at all. I squeezed them both and there feels like theres fluid going through it, I repeatedly squeezed it making sure there was no air pockets, the gauge still says nothing as if it was never even started, the blower blows out luke warm not hot air, I can switch the climate to cold and its very cold than back turn it back to warm and same luke warm, it should be way hotter.
Also the check engine light came on prior to all this as well as ets, which is the traction control. Im very confused.
Wednesday, March 9th, 2011 AT 10:35 PM
WRENCHTECH
I suggest you get a laser thermometer and start checking the engine temp to see where you stand. It could be a thermostat but it could also be a plugged up heater core. First determine what the actual engine temp is at the thermostat housing
Wednesday, March 9th, 2011 AT 10:39 PM
KICKYBUSH@YAHOO.COM
Ok. What is the normal operating temp
Wednesday, March 9th, 2011 AT 10:48 PM
WRENCHTECH
Between 190 and 230 degrees
Wednesday, March 9th, 2011 AT 11:34 PM