1999 Chevy Cavalier no start.

53ROBERT
  • 1999 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
Auto no fog lights interior, exterior lights function, radio works. No turn over condition. Bypass selenoid and car will turn over but not continue running. Had them checed, checked ok. Need help car will not turn over in park or nuetral
Sunday, October 9th, 2011 AT 2:49 AM

RIVERMIKERAT
Check the Park/Neutral safety switch. If that works, then your problem is the solenoid.
Check the fuses and relays for the lighting issue.
Sunday, October 9th, 2011 AT 2:51 AM
RIVERMIKERAT
I should add, when checking the relay, turn the lights on once you locate the proper relay (it'll either be in the underhood relay/junction box or in or near the main interior fuse panel), listen to the relay as the lights are turned on. You should hear a solid click sound. If not, either the fuse or relay is bad. If you do hear it, hot wire the power lead and see if the lights come on. If not, check the ground(s). If the ground(s) good, you have bad bulbs. If they do come on and the ground is good, check for continuity on the power lead to the lights. Do the headlights and parking lights come on?
Sunday, October 9th, 2011 AT 2:54 AM
53ROBERT
Dont understand what exterior lights have to do with a no start condition. Battery and alternator are fine Vehicle died while driving needed towed and hasn't run sinse
Sunday, October 9th, 2011 AT 3:45 AM
RIVERMIKERAT
Exterior lights should have NOTHING to do with a no start condition. You mentioned two problems: Fog lights not working and a no start condition. I gave steps to see what's wrong and fix both.
Sunday, October 9th, 2011 AT 4:23 AM
53ROBERT
I'm sorry, should have said car came without fogn lights. My bad. Not my vehicle but owners says driving down highway summer day car died while in motion hasnet started since bypass starter selanoid and engine cranks but wont run. Pulled them out had them checked even selenoid woked on the machine my thoughts have included nuetrak safety bswithch whickj yo9u indicated, ignition switch, or vhehicle asecurity system this gal has little money and just trying to hel her out. Unfortunatley my tools dont include tech2 bur I do have a leatherman lol. Appreciate your help.
Sunday, October 9th, 2011 AT 4:37 AM
RIVERMIKERAT
See if there is spark at the plugs and fuel. If no spark, check to see if the coil is getting power. If no fuel, see if you hear the fuel pump relay energizing and the fuel pump starting up.

Starter works properly on the bench and works when the solenoid is jumped. That leads me to think ignition switch, or wire to the solenoid.
Sunday, October 9th, 2011 AT 4:53 AM