CHEVY STARTING PROBLEM

1999 Chevrolet Blazer

beat kid

April, 11, 2011 AT 10:04 PM

I have a 1999 chevy s10 blazer with about 160,000miles on it. Its been having starting problems for a while now. Somedays it will start and somedays it wont. Now its like this on any kind of weather day. I changed the distributor cap and rotor and spark plugs and it made no difference. I changed the fuel pump because sometimes I didnt hear it running and it would start right up. Now its back to the same problem again. Can you help?

April, 11, 2011 AT 10:13 PM

Next time it refuses to start don't wait for it to make up its mind-do below immediately to determine if its fuel or spark problem

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing

beat kid

April, 12, 2011 AT 2:08 AM

Ok I found the problem! My blazer went through several distributor caps and rotors so far because they keep corroding. Since it wasnt starting I put a heat gun to the cap and electrical wires and it started right up. My dad had to do this once before. Now I understand that moisture is somehow getting in there and blocking the spark from igniting anything but what could be the problem?

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe