High idle and stalling

YOUNG BUICKOWNER
  • 1999 BUICK CENTURY
Have code 507 and replaced the idle control valve, did not work and the car stalls so I pulled the lead from the egr and set the idle manually and it works but still idles very high and if I plug the wire back in it stalls
Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 4:49 PM

SATURNTECH9
You should never adjust the idle stop screw on that car the iac controls the idle speed. You have a vacuum leak somewhere causing the idle most likely.
Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 7:28 PM
YOUNG BUICKOWNER
Thank you, if I replace the egr and clean the egr line do you think that would help, I intend to replace the air idle valve when I figure out whats wrong and had it replaced already to no avail and was told that my ecu needed to be replaced which I knew was false and was confirmed by another mechanic while getting an oil change who told me after checking on some websites that I would be the first in the country to need this repair, I need to do the repair myself as money is very tight right now
Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 8:17 PM
SATURNTECH9
If the egr valve was not working correctly you would get a egr code. Also if the egr port was clogged it would set a egr code and wouldn't cause the high idle from a clogged port. You said in the first post you replaced your iac valve now your saying you will replace it when you find the problem. So did you replace or not?Also if you had it out did clean all the carbon of its air passage way so it will get a good seat?
Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 8:26 PM
YOUNG BUICKOWNER
When the idle was replaced the car stalled and a mechanic set it manually and pulled the wire off the egr so I bought another new idle and and put it in and the car idled fast so I took it out and put the idle that was set manually back, I was wondering if the egr could cause a high idle and why does the car stall when the idle is plugged into the egr
Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 8:47 PM
SATURNTECH9
When you put a new iac valve in the car will idle high and then the idle will slowly go down until the computer sets the correct idle speed this is normal. Did you give the computer the time to do this?Also if the guy working on your car adjusted the idle stop screw I would find a new person to work on your car. The egr will cause a high idle and stalling if its sticking but also if they stick they set a code.
Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 8:55 PM
YOUNG BUICKOWNER
Thank you, how do I let the computer adjust and how long does it take, do I run the car or just turn it on, I was afraid something else was going on because I was not aware the computer needed time
Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 9:08 PM
SATURNTECH9
Just put the iac valve in start the car and let the idle set itself. Let me know what you find.
Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 9:58 PM