Toyota Corolla Wont Start

JOEOD86
  • 1998 TOYOTA COROLLA
Toyota Corolla 98
Car wont start when warm. Car will start every time on a cold morning. If the car spends some time in the sunshine or I go on a journey over half an hour or if I turn the heater on in the car the car is garunteed not to start again for at least half an hour. If the car is in the sun i'll have to push it into the shade and open all the doors and windows and the hood so the car will cool. It wont jump start either and if the inside of the car gets heated in any way its garunteed not to start. When I try to start the car the engine will turn and turn until I run the battery flat but it wont fire. The alarm in the car was malfunctioning before it used to go off right after I locked the car but it made such a low noise you could barely hear it, this has stopped happening recently though. I've had the Crankshaft sensor and the Main Relay changed already and I have the car in the garage at the moment to get the Feul Pump relay checked but I've a feeling this wont solve the problem. Any suggestions on what it could be would be much appreciated.

Saturday, April 16th, 2011 AT 11:23 PM

Next time it refuses to start hot or cold -do below to determine if its fuel or spark related problem

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine at least 3/16 away from ground -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if so, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it
Sunday, April 17th, 2011 AT 12:18 AM
GEET
Have it scanned and I think it may be the coolant temperature sensor.
Sunday, April 17th, 2011 AT 4:14 PM
JOEOD86
Got it scanned again and the mechanic says its a problem with the immobilisor. The code was either 99 or 100. Are there any common problems with the immobilisor or is there any way of disabling it even.
Friday, April 22nd, 2011 AT 2:36 PM
JOEOD86
It was 99
Friday, April 22nd, 2011 AT 2:41 PM
JOEOD86
Problem solved. Immobilisor was strapped to the ingnition barrel with plastic tape instead of being on the inside of the key. When the inside of the car got warm the tape expanded and brought the chip far enough away from the ignition coil so that the anti theft device kicked in and the engine failed to spark. Delighted to have it sorted.
Saturday, April 23rd, 2011 AT 10:50 PM